Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Headlight Install???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Install???

Just got some aftermarket replacement headlights for my SS. Just wondering how horrible of a job it is to replace them. Ive heard stories in the past?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Launching!

not too hard at ALL. maybe like 1 bolt really and a little manuvering to take them out. It can be a little tricky putting them back in without having gaps on bumper.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

is the bumper required to come off??
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

No. It's one 10mm bolt that is in plain view. As said above, the most difficult part is eliminating the gap. The second is accomplishing that while keeping the beam of light level. I test by parking the car in my level driveway, while focusing the lights on the garage, you can manualy level the beam and adjust to a proper height. The appropriate height seems a bit lower than you would think.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it a pain getting them in properly, mostly the passenger side. Getting the two bottom tabs in and lining up the bolt hole. Maybe because my front end isn't quite right though so that makes things harder. The concept isn't hard, just takes some patience
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

it's not difficult at all. takes 10 minutes tops, you just can't get frustrated cause it will not work the first two or three attempts. you get one side lined up and push, and another part slips out. my biggest problem is the leveling of the beams. to this day mine are crosseyed.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Teching In

You don't need to take the bumper off. Just go easy on it because some headlight cases don't have the strongest screws and materials. I agree though, the hardest part is getting it to fill the headlight area without there being awkward gaps. I suggest taking a picture or getting a good look on how the stock ones sit in the car first, so you know what to aim for. The silicone lining can be a pain to make it look nice on the edges, one of mine even pops out sometimes...so annoying. Not to mention the headlight casing seemed to be less reflective than the stock ones so I went out and got some sylvania bulbs, but they are still much weaker than I'd like.