Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

MMM meet Electron Blue Metallic!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Beast
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total paint job?....
well.... long story short... a girl swipped up the side of my car hitting the front bumper cover, front drivers side fender, drivers side door, and drivers mirror. Those panels had to get repainted reguardless and I had been thinking of painting it another color anyhow so I figured now was my chance. One of my good friends dad owns a very well respected body shop. So I ended up taking apart the car and doing ALL the prep work for paint, of course with the painter watching over me to make sure I did a good job.

So, they fixed every dent and scratch in the car, fixed a dent that I had been meaning to get fixed for a while, and painted it for an extra $1300 on my part, that also included a new outer tie rod and front blinker. I got all parts at cost so needless to say I got a crazy good hookup.

They said the paint job would have been around $6k if I didnt do any of the prep or destruction of the car.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt wish an accident on anybody but if it happenned i wish they came out on the good side like you did
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

God ur car came out great!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i wouldnt wish an accident on anybody but if it happenned i wish they came out on the good side like you did
ya it was a huge PITA to say the least but hell isnt everything worthwhile on your car?

Originally Posted by mr_montellano
God ur car came out great!!!
Thanks alot man! im extremely happy with it, wouldnt change the color for anything.

Well, I read a tutorial on how to use a point and shoot so ive been playing with my settings and I downloaded a free version of GIMP so hopefully ill have alot better pictures sometime next week or this weekend... gotta figure out how to use this GIMP software first
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
Thanks for the advice... my camera is just a point and shoot Nikon coolpix s550 10 megapixels 5x zoom. I need to get a better camera or at least a tripod.
No need for a really great camera. Mine is just a Canon Powershot A570 IS (was about $150), and I can take really good shots, even at night with a tripod or box to sit the camera on. Sometimes I balance the camera on top of my water bottle.

I forgot to mention that if the camera has the 10 second or 2 second delay for the shutter (you know, the thing so you can run and get into the photo before the camera takes the pic) use that so the camera has time to stop wobbling from you pressing the button down.

Here's a sample night shot I took a few years ago around Christmas time:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/...e16d0832_b.jpg
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

well.... long story short... a girl swipped up the side of my car hitting the front bumper cover, front drivers side fender, drivers side door, and drivers mirror. Those panels had to get repainted reguardless and I had been thinking of painting it another color anyhow so I figured now was my chance. One of my good friends dad owns a very well respected body shop. So I ended up taking apart the car and doing ALL the prep work for paint, of course with the painter watching over me to make sure I did a good job.

So, they fixed every dent and scratch in the car, fixed a dent that I had been meaning to get fixed for a while, and painted it for an extra $1300 on my part, that also included a new outer tie rod and front blinker. I got all parts at cost so needless to say I got a crazy good hookup.

They said the paint job would have been around $6k if I didnt do any of the prep or destruction of the car.

Thanks for the re-update....I did read the story on the how and why, but its nice to know the total for future refrence.....and yes, thats was a hell of a deal and well worth the effort on your part with the prep!.....

Now you do know that the car has become bigger than it self, and we absolutly MUST have some great, quality shots, polished and in a nice backdrop for wallpaper.....so don't take offence as we bug you for pics for awhile!....

she is beautiful!!....
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

779J is my favorite

Looks awsome
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blu Beast
Thanks for the re-update....I did read the story on the how and why, but its nice to know the total for future refrence.....and yes, thats was a hell of a deal and well worth the effort on your part with the prep!.....

Now you do know that the car has become bigger than it self, and we absolutly MUST have some great, quality shots, polished and in a nice backdrop for wallpaper.....so don't take offence as we bug you for pics for awhile!....

she is beautiful!!....
oh please please please critique the hell out of my shooting abilities.... because they are obviously horrible lol. Anyone know of a good free photoshop trype software on the net? I tried that GIMP software but it keeps crashing. So far my list of things to improve are, please add if any pointers... I have a Nikon Coolpix 10 megapixels 5x zoom with up to 2000 ISO.

-2 second delay
-tripod
-ISO at 100-200
-play with photoshop
-play with the modes in different lighting
-find more places to shoot
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Like Photoshop? Not really. It depends on what you want to do. Irfanview is good enough for most of my photo editing. (Though if I have complex stuff to do, I use a scripting tool that I won't get into due here to complexity)

Lower ISO = less noise and a little sharper, usually. (Though lower ISO could also mean a numerically lower f-stop which with many lenses means blurrier). High ISO is often necessary though, at least in my experience.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Like Photoshop? Not really. It depends on what you want to do. Irfanview is good enough for most of my photo editing. (Though if I have complex stuff to do, I use a scripting tool that I won't get into due here to complexity)

Lower ISO = less noise and a little sharper, usually. (Though lower ISO could also mean a numerically lower f-stop which with many lenses means blurrier). High ISO is often necessary though, at least in my experience.
after I took the pics I noticed my ISO was at 2000, I read somewhere that at night you need 100 or 200.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brangeta
No need for a really great camera. Mine is just a Canon Powershot A570 IS (was about $150), and I can take really good shots, even at night with a tripod or box to sit the camera on. Sometimes I balance the camera on top of my water bottle.

I forgot to mention that if the camera has the 10 second or 2 second delay for the shutter (you know, the thing so you can run and get into the photo before the camera takes the pic) use that so the camera has time to stop wobbling from you pressing the button down.

Here's a sample night shot I took a few years ago around Christmas time:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/...e16d0832_b.jpg
That picture looks awesome man! Im so broke right now from painting my car, ordering koni's, strano springs, double din bezel, and about to change my outer tie rod's and upper/lower balljoints, that Ill be looking for a box as a tripod for the next few months lol.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Elec Blue is nice but you have committed sacrilege my MMM brother.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

The blue looks way better...

after I took the pics I noticed my ISO was at 2000, I read somewhere that at night you need 100 or 200.
High ISO works better in low light. ISO is light sensitivity. But higher ISO is noisier. Even good cameras are noise at ISO 2000. Actually, 2000 is weird. Most SLRs that go high will do 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc. But anyway, if you need the high ISO then you need it, but it's better to get around it with long shutter times when possible.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MMMZ/28
Elec Blue is nice but you have committed sacrilege my MMM brother.
haha I know it man, MMM is a great color that gives off a great deep shine but it never really did it for me. I like to be different I guess so I went with a non factory color, IMO EBM owns MMM sorry haha.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not photographer particularly, but I can tell you some basics.

High ISO = fast speed, so there is a lot of noise in the photo, but you can take pics of like... sports and stuff without the shot being blurry.
Low ISO = slow speed, so if you wiggle, the picture is blurry.

Shutter speed is measured in seconds, and the same is basically true of it as what I said above. I prefer changing the shutter speed instead.

The main difference between it and ISO is that a fast shutter speed = dark photo because the lens isn't open long. A slow shutter speed = light photo because the lens can be open like 15 seconds or something ridiculous.

High aperture = like F8.0 = the camera tries to get everything in the shot to be in focus
Low aperture = like F3.2 or lower = the camera will blur the background. This can be good if taking a picture of a person close by and wanting the background out of focus, but I generally haven't had luck with it when taking pics of cars, because the front end will be in focus, and rear end blurry, and I don't like that.

The exposure goes from -2 to 2, and honestly, I consider it a waste of time. I haven't found a good use in changing that.

I typically leave the ISO on 200, and just adjust the shutter speed instead when I do shots in low-light. I never use manual mode in bright light. I sometimes use aperture priority mode in extremely bright sunlight, because in automatic mode, the aperture is F8.0, which can sometimes bring up UV spots or something in my camera, particularly when shooting white cars. I change it to F5.0 to get rid of those unusual spots. Looks like a dirty lens, but the lens is clean, and only happens in extremely hot sunny weather at car shows.

I got my tripod at SAM'S Club for $14. It's a very nice lightweight aluminum one with a level in it. Very satisfied with it, it holds my little camera just fine. Probably wouldn't work too well with a big SLR expensive camera, but it's like a 2 ft tall to 5 ft tall tripod, so it's good. A box or water bottle works better if you want a really low shot taken 6 inches off the ground of course.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as software goes, Irfanview is highly recommended in the design world as far as free software goes. Adobe used to sell (and may still sell) Photoshop Elements for about $30 or $40, and it has most of the good stuff in it. Jasc or Corel Paint Shop Pro is about that price, but is better for making graphics rather than editing an "ok" photo into a "good" one like Photoshop is great at.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

ISO is not speed. It's the light sensitivity of the sensor.

Shutter speed: Obvious
ISO: light sensitivity, higher = noisier
f stop (aperature): How much light the lens lets in, affects sharpness and depth of field. Lower number = brighter picture, better in low light, less depth of field, sometimes blurrier picture depending on the lens.

Edit: by the way, a lens with a large aperature (numerically low f/stop value) is sometimes called a "fast" lens because it lets in more light and often times allows you to use faster shutter speeds as a result.

Last edited by dragonrage; 06-19-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're the pro, not me.

I just know what the stuff does from messing around with it.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Is this a V6 car or had you had the sail panel painted previously?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MMMZ/28
Is this a V6 car or had you had the sail panel painted previously?
I just had the entire car repainted...

Quick Reply: MMM meet Electron Blue Metallic!