Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How Do I Spray My Hood.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Spray My Hood.

i was hoping that someone can explain in pretty good detail how to paint my hood and spoiler. anybody can give me a link to look at also with some insructions. i have a lil knowledge but just want to feel a lil comfortable before i tackle it. i am only doing a temporary paint job on them until i can get the hole car sprayed. i am using a compressor and air gun.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

prep work isnt that hard to do, just time consuming, but actually spraying a car I would not do myself... need practice before anything. Do you know how to prep?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Launching!

already prepped and primed i sprayed the primer with the air gun with no runs i am sure it is different tho.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interested in this as well...
Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Launching!

It's so unbelievably hard to just tell someone how to paint without any sort of visual aid. First you need to make sure your air compressor will keep up, if it starts running after just 2 passes over the hood be prepared to be constantly upping your pressure at the gun, because without good pressure at the gun your gonna be fighting to lay down your product evenly.... especially your clearcoat. Now spraying is not that hard, but if your lacking confidence that will play a big role in the outcome as well.

About all I can say is if your gonna be wetsanding your primer start with 400 and finish with 800 grit paper. Make sure everything is completely dry. Now keep in mind prep work is a huge factor, keep everything clean and blow the car off as much as possible. Wipe it down with a good precleaner. As for spraying I don't know what all I can tell you besides spray by using a 50/50 overlap and make sure they are good even coats.

If your have any more speciffic questions that would help out as well.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what paint are you shooting? if you're just doing a temp paint, get some cheap single stage urethane, so you don't have mess with bc/cc. where will you shoot, your garage? don't forget you will get dust and overspray all over it if you're not careful in covering everything up.

i've painted at home before in the garage, and i could tell you all the imperfections, but the nice thing is you can wet sand a lot of issues out and polish/buff to a reasonable finish. if you're not trying to do show car quality, you can do it at home relatively easy. just make sure you clean everything first and use products together that are meant to be used together. Also, if you're buying paint and they care color matching it for you, take something (stock spoiler) over there and make sure they have the color match close, i've been burned that way before.

Also - as other post said, all about your air compressor too. you can paint the spoiler easy with a smaller compressor, but a bigger compressor will be needed for the hood so you get good coverage.

here's a tip- paint the bottom of the hood first for practice or paint your stock hood for practice...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Good info!