Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting it Myself - How much paint is required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009 | 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like it came out good.
Old 11-06-2009 | 10:58 AM
Launching!

What type of paint gun did you get? Can i get a list of the tools you used?
Old 11-07-2009 | 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Same here
Old 11-09-2009 | 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why would you guys say it looks good???lol??? to me it looks like crap, why did you use 220 to start off with, and why arent the parts removed?? for me personally i like to first remove all my parts off the car everything comes off!!!

then fix all the dents/chips/rust/ some times i will chemically strip the car, no its no needed but on certain cars knowing what a customer is paying i like to start from bare metal, but thats just me

or i do 120, 180, leave it in 180, everything is fixed rust/dents what have you ,prime it, dry block using 120, 180 re prime it then wet sand the primer with 320/400/600/1,000

again impossible to teach online but us techs can just give advice and little tips here and there, on to the "how many quarts do i need" well a good painter will know what color sealer to use, on black you use black sealer, red i use grey sealer, silver=grey so if you used white sealer on a black car your going to have to apply so much product just to cover the sealer, it all depends on the color your using

and it depends on the product line, i know ppg like the back of my hand so i know what i can use and what color sealer to use, and the dbc line is a tad bit thicker if you will so it covers faster and takes less material to apply

spies hecker covers nicely as well, and other product lines may be thinner, and or more transparent so then ya need more color, see my point

and i never in 20yrs have applied 5 coats of clear, i dont know where your getting this from, with todays high soild clear the most is 3 coats, and thats it no more any more your going to have problems, solvent pop, the clear will dull down and never dry right

so thats my advice

Quick Reply: Painting it Myself - How much paint is required?