Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

horrible fish-eye!?!? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything sounds right to me, I do know that different microfiber towels have some contaminents in them from new. As mentioned above, that would be one thing I would change.
A lighter "tack" coat might help as well and if it has any body work an epoxy primer would be ideal however I know "fisheyes" are caused by contamination. Hope it works out soon, I can imagine how frustrating it can be!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

it might be the dupicolor wax and grease. i have had trouble with it before, i dont trust it.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

update..

well i finally got everything painted.

i had trouble at first cause i washed with dawn. then wiped with laquer thinner(duplicolor brand) and immediatly wiping the excess off (using nothing but clean paper towels for everything). but it seemed like the thinner was being absorbed into the primer (might be due to not putting a sealer over the primer). so i tested with a spray bottle of water and the water would bead up horrible like i had just put wax on it.

after that i just washed it again with dawn and dried. then tested the spray and it didnt bead up. so i just ditched the laquer thinner and only cleaned everything with dawn (pretty risky to me!).

i just started by lightly misting a thin coat on. had to do 3 super light coats like i was just putting overspray on everything. then after that everthing seemed to lay down fairly good. i was suprised how well it came out with only wiping it off with dawn.

so i think my problem the whole time was the fact that i didnt use a sealer or epoxy primer, or just the poor quality of the duplicolor products, or just the combination of both of them.

i just know next time ill be getting some epoxy primer and better cleaning products!

thanks everyone for the help!

and im thinking about doing a write up of the trans am ls1 front end conversion when i start putting this stuff on this week. i dont think ive seen an actual write up for it, anybody think i should?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see you get it figured out!

Quick Reply: horrible fish-eye!?!? HELP!!