Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

black paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default black paint

I'm needing my car painted and i was wondering what is a real nice glosy black paint ya would use? maybe part # or name brand suggestions would be helpfull along w/ some examples...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

I think it all in the clear coat. Well thats what paint shops tell me. Im sure somebody will chime in that actully paints cars and stuff.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok then whats a really good clear coat then?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM

its mostly the clear thats what protects the color a good one would be like dupont ppg or house of color
Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

I would try to avoid house of kolor. Dont get me wrong, its great paint, but it doesnt hold up well to abuse from the environment like ppg, dupont, etc. If the car is garage-kept and it isnt driven in bad weather or parked outside where itll be exposed to industrial fall-out and such then house of kolor will make for a beautiful paint job.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally love the black on our new Malibu. Its metallic but its very deep looking and has amazing shine when cleaned up. Would look sick on a 4th gen.

Black Granite Metallic is the name of it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got mine painted... its as black as they come. Just get black. I think that is the part id for it BLACK. Its all in the clear. If you want the best shine then don't go cheap on the clear. Just 1 gallon of the clear for mine was over 300 bucks without any paint or other materials. I'll get some pics up soon. Still got to put her together
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

here is one with the camera phone. Doesn't do her justice.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...nt=photo-4.jpg

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...nt=photo-5.jpg

Yes, I do know that the top needs to be cleaned. Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Its not all in the clear some blacks have more browns than others, there is a ppg black called Tripple black, House of Kolor black with some cobalt blue candy concentrate, and Sikkens Deep black. All of those colors with a good layed out clear will look amazing and deep.

The HOK black with Cobalt blue concentrate mixed in eliminates all browns and tones them down to a dark blue, therfore turning the black blacker. HOK black is already a good black color to start with so you can imagine the outcome. But only a bit of blue concentrate is needed when mixing it.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thx for all the inpute.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

All paint mfg's have a standard black that is a nice pure black. Go with one of the major paint lines, Dupont,PPG, BASF (RM),Spies, etc. Make sure you get a basecoat clear coat system and not just a single stage black. You get what you pay. The better quality paints are expensive. Good luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Base Coat/Clear First Off..

Id go with your factory black code prob 8555 I think is what mine is..and it should be the same for most 4th gens

Everything will still match if you go with the factory color..door jams ect.

What I thought black was black...

No there is all kinds of different blacks, blue blacks, brown blacks, black blacks, its in the base not the clear. Then you can add metallics and pearls..Its really funny how many black cars have been fixed at a body shop and dont match because they just use good ol black and its not the same as the rest of the car lol..

I paint a bit. Speis Hecker..hands down a really good product..Pretty pricey..but its good, clear is a hard clear that can take the abuse..They have an Extra Clear that is the most "clear" you can get I think.

If your wanting a cheaper way..Go with Nason/Dupont..Iv used a lot of that and I like it also..Probably $500 would paint the car..thats activator, reducers ects. Iv seen Nason last for years on cars that sit outside and it is really one of the cheaper paint systems. But it works..Iv seen Speis Clear pop 2 weeks after on a show car that does nothing but sit in a garage..

Also stated..PPG..A lot of shops use it..

I can take cheap *** paint make it look good. Its all how you prep your panels, how you lay the color and clear down and how good you are a wet sanding and buffing. Theres a lot to painting..take a look at my albums..thats some of the more fun things Iv done latley..Ohh and I dont have a $150,000 paint booth just a little bay in my garage at my parents home..I do all my work out of it....Oh yeah..and Im 20..
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Teching In

whatever u do get PPG paint

Quick Reply: black paint