Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Swaping Trans Am Hatch GLASS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaping Trans Am Hatch GLASS

Please somebody tell me how I can swap the hatch glass between my old firebird hatch with window tint and good weather stripping, and my new TA hatch with no tint and crappy weather stripping. I can't see paying somebody $100 to swap the glasses. I thought this would be cheaper than replaceing the moulding and also getting it tinted. A write-up would be great. I am hoping to do it today so hurry please. I will get some pics of the weather stripping up when I get home so you can see why I want to do this. Thanks guys
Old 10-17-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not gonna happen, you have got to call someone! I have an RK Sport back in place of my hatch and ill tell you right now, it took a PROFESSIONAL who does this every day, day in, and day out, about 2 hours to get the glass out. They have special arms that hold massive razor blades (because the glass is just glued in place) that are horrifying to see lol i dont know how that guy hadn't lost a finger or hand the way those things worked. very crude but what else are you gonna do? You have to reach up under the glass and literally cut it loose. What he told me was that people dont ever swap things like that you know, they only get the call if the glass is broken. So that's how they're taught to approach the situation. In the end it was a complete nightmare! Just replace the wetaher striping and get it tinted it will save you $ actually. One section of weather stripping isnt bad at all to price. my RK Sport's had to be replaced and it was only $12 for a big roll of it.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

were did you get your weather stru=ipping from? I have looked a good bit and came up with nothing.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got mine from RK sport becuase they originally supplied it but JC Whitney and JEGs etc any major parts retailer has a large selection of universal weather stripping. Local stores here in Sacramento have them too. Im not sure if you have the same stores buti can get it from autozone, hust brothers, reibes, napa etc. But i would say Jc Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...uestid=1818669
Old 10-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

ok thanks man I'll probably just do that.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen hatch glass easily removed with a friends help, a guitar string and a couple short pieces of 2x2. It's the new glue I'd be worried about since you don't want you glass to blow out at 80mph when you have your windows open!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Is there a way to just remove the fiberglass panel and spoiler? I have a really nicely tinted hatch that has some cosmetic damage to the fiberglass in the rear.