Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

body damage!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body damage!

On a rainy day i was driving on a banking turn and broke traction @ 45 mph. helicoptered off the road and hit a small tree. anyone got any ideas on how to handle this situation?
Attached Thumbnails body damage!-camaro-004.jpg   body damage!-camaro-005.jpg   body damage!-camaro-006.jpg   body damage!-camaro-008.jpg   body damage!-camaro-007.jpg  

Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't lend any help but you have my sympathy... my first car ended up about three feet shorter in the front.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my guess would be that an insurance co wll total that car. Looks like you'd need to replace quarter panel, trunk channel, hatch, rear of car. Thats alot of work. If you know what your doing you can do it and won't be all that bad but you'd have to get alot of stuff cut out from a junk yard.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

"helicoptered off the road" lol...You have my sympathy, i just thought is a funny way of putting it...Tell your insurance you want your check!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

bummer man i feel ur pain
Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have a police report, 2nd call insurance company, 3rd pray insurance wont total the car, 4th, what kind of insurance, 5th dont take it to a dealership trust me on that one, 6th pray it wont total
Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that car is defintly going to be totaled. even if it wasnt, i wouldnt want to drive in it

ins just a plain jane z28. theres thousands more out there
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why in hell would you pray they dont total it? i would NEVER want that car again, never will it drive straight or feel like it should i dont care how good you think you or your uncle is at body repair. that car is DONE.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^huh??^^^^
the only thing that would total the car would be the cost of part and labor, dude us tech fix much worse, that is nothing to cry home to momma about, we sometimes have to do a complete rear clip on cars, and this accident is a walk in the park

dude not to toot my own horn but the shop im at now, i have been there 3 yrs and had 1 car come back, just becasue its hit, thats what we do we fix cars, i have fixed much worse and never had a complaint at all,

to the op if its not toaled you will be fine, no worries ok i have been around 20 yrs, some guys 30-40 yrs so dont worry about it being repaired wrong everything will be fine
Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I would just contact the insurance and tell them it was raining and you hydroplaned and hit a tree. They should take care of it even without a police report. I had a accident about the same and I was unsure what the insurance would say so I waited a while then thought id give it a shot. They didnt even ask about a police report just told me where to take it to get it looked at and wrote the check on the spot.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
why in hell would you pray they dont total it? i would NEVER want that car again, never will it drive straight or feel like it should i dont care how good you think you or your uncle is at body repair. that car is DONE.
why would it not drive straight??? Its just a quarter panel.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im sure he will come back and say well the rear frame rails are bent, ya and your point is??? why do you think we have frame machines, and we know how to repair and re align, no matter what the car is fixable

and state farm will fix it, but ya need a police report, state farm might put a used 1/4 on the car, no biggie, and some other used parts to save the car, but dude its fixable
Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Im with gieco and when i had messed up my front end a bit on my lincoln they didnt ask much. All I did was call them tell them what happened and they told me to take it to one of thier shops and let them give me a estimate and then they cut me a check minus my deductible. It was easier than I expected.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

u need a new quarter that is too creased to straighten a very experienced bodyshop can fix that, but it would be less labor and probably cheaper to go with a new quarter
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

how long has the car been sittin there looks like its been down for a while but i feel your pain though my car and a dog got into a fight while i was goin to a call (im a firefighter) and the dog won cause it messed up my front bumber bent my billet grill and the messed up part is the dog got up and ran off
Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bdyman
im sure he will come back and say well the rear frame rails are bent, ya and your point is??? why do you think we have frame machines, and we know how to repair and re align, no matter what the car is fixable

and state farm will fix it, but ya need a police report, state farm might put a used 1/4 on the car, no biggie, and some other used parts to save the car, but dude its fixable

im with bdyman on this one! ive seen ALOT worse roll thru with slavage titles or salvage history!
last i wrecked mine when the appraiser came to look at it i said 'give me what you can but im NOT totalling it' --& they did just that :]
wrecked it twice and you cant tell....clean NC title :]
Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A claims person will determine it's value at time of loss, id at least get an estimate and go from there. useually its a % of all major components that they look at before deciding if it gets close. I see it def going on a machine but you may just have to get a quarter welded in. I see also a bumper and possible work on the hatch.

GL on this one.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

depends on if its easier cost wise to fix it or just use it for parts..i feel your pain tho man i really do..