Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hood alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hood alignment

hey i just bought a used ram air hood for my camaro. everything fit great but the front driver side where the hood meets the corner by the light sticks up about a quarter inch. the passenger side is fine. is there anyway to fix this problem? thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Irvin Sanchez (04-17-2020)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lol same hood same problem i just bought a pinning kit and said f it.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

lol yea it almost looks like i left a screw driver etc under the hood and closed it. btw i checked nothing was left under it lol
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hood could be warped or just need aligning. Way to check is unbolt it and just lay it on the car. This will tell you if it will go where it wants to. If it looks good laying there then you need to keep adjusting till it gets there. May have to drill the hinges.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadredz28
hey i just bought a used ram air hood for my camaro. everything fit great but the front driver side where the hood meets the corner by the light sticks up about a quarter inch. the passenger side is fine. is there anyway to fix this problem? thanks!
mine is the same way right now, you need to dremel out the holes on the hinges a bit. for some reason the bolts go in at an angle, making the hood sit up
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you adjust the hood stops?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i realize this is an old thread....

but my STOCK hood seems to be goin outta whack, only recently i noticed...
the right side looks fine for the most part, but the whole left side seems to be pulled away from the fender toward the engine bay.... you could easily lay a pencil in the gap....
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow.

Seems to be more questions, than answers in this thread. Oh well, I'll give my question a shot as well...

I've had the factory hood off my 99 Formula for over 2 months now because I will be replacing it with a Suncoast Raptor Hood. I should have the new hood painted and installed by now, but things don't always go according to plan. My painter is a young man who helps his dad farm and got busy with field work right after we test fit the Raptor and thats as far as we've gotten. Long story-short, with snow now on the ground the 'Bird won't see driving time until spring and I decided to reinstall the factory hood for the Winter.

My brother and I reinstalled the hood just an hour or so ago and can't seem to find the proper alignment to allow the hood to latch.

The hood seems to shut just fine, but no matter how much force is applied down on the hood, above the latch, it just won't catch. We tried moving the hood around, but, like I said, we can't find the sweet spot.

I want to mention, the only modification that has been performed was to the brackets that attach the hood to the hinges. I had to elongate the holes on the hinge side to allow for proper alignment of the Raptor Hood. (Its easy to see where the factory hood was set, though, with the paint missing from where the bolts were. That is where we began, thinking it was the most logical place to start.) Other than that, nothing has been touched. The latch was never removed from the car, and the same goes for the catch on the factory hood. Hood stops haven't been messed with. And there isn't a screwdriver stuck in the cowl or any other stupid mistake like that. (We checked.)

Is there something I'm failing to see? Could my latch have gone to **** with the hood off for so long? Or do I just need to keep searching for a spot that works? I know with the car not directly in front of you, it's difficult to diagnosis a problem of this nature. But if anyone has any advice or a direction to point me in, that would be wonderful.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

I had to lower the two front stops on the sides a lil to get mine to catch...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Default hood adjustment

I just put my Glasstek 4" cowl hood on about a month ago, and I had to fiddle around quite a bit to get it to fit "right". It had nothing to do with the hood itself, just adjustment. One thing that I ran into, and sounds like what you have going on "Mumbles", is when the hinges close, there is a tab on the lower part of the hinge that slides up in a grove on the upper (hood side) of the hinge. If that is hitting on one side, hit wont close right...... it took me about a half hour (put it on by myself) and a couple curse words to finally figure that out......... seemed like everytime I opened/closed it, made an adjustment, and would do the same thing.... In the end I had to drill out the holes in the hinge, make the top half sit even with the lower half, and add a couple fender washers between the fender and lower hinge to space it in a little bit (move the hinge in towards the motor) and then get the stops adjusted and it fits pretty good now. Gonna let the "body guy" fine tune what Ive got when I take it in for paint this spring.........
Hope this isnt too confusing and helps ya out..........
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Have any pictures, i just ordered my 4 inch cowl yesterday..
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk96406
I just put my Glasstek 4" cowl hood on about a month ago, and I had to fiddle around quite a bit to get it to fit "right". It had nothing to do with the hood itself, just adjustment. One thing that I ran into, and sounds like what you have going on "Mumbles", is when the hinges close, there is a tab on the lower part of the hinge that slides up in a grove on the upper (hood side) of the hinge. If that is hitting on one side, hit wont close right...... it took me about a half hour (put it on by myself) and a couple curse words to finally figure that out......... seemed like everytime I opened/closed it, made an adjustment, and would do the same thing.... In the end I had to drill out the holes in the hinge, make the top half sit even with the lower half, and add a couple fender washers between the fender and lower hinge to space it in a little bit (move the hinge in towards the motor) and then get the stops adjusted and it fits pretty good now. Gonna let the "body guy" fine tune what Ive got when I take it in for paint this spring.........
Hope this isnt too confusing and helps ya out..........
Thanks for the advice. I know the tabs and alignment holes on the hinges that you're speaking of.

On our first attempt, the hood seemed to shut just fine. No rubbing of the tabs on the edges of the grooves they sit in, the damn thing just wouldn't latch. We made adjustments and then the passenger side tab was rubbing on the outside edge of its groove. Still no latch. So we made another adjustment. The passenger tab no longer rubs, but now the drivers does. And, again, it still won't latch.

Presently, it's not 100% necessary that this hood latch, for two reasons. I won't be driving the car for quite some time. And this hood will eventually be removed again to make way for the Raptor Hood. It's just really frustrating that I can't make the ****** function the way its supposed to. And what's really messing with my head is the fact that this is the same damn hood that came off. Why would so much adjustment be necessary? I should be able to put it right where the paint is missing on the hood to hinge brackets and that should do it.

Again thanks for the reply. I hope installing the Raptor Hood isn't this much trouble.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I was able to get my hood to latch, but I don't know if I've solved whatever problem I was having.

I removed the bolts for the hood struts and let them rest in the engine bay.

Next, I carefully loosened the 4 bolts that attach the Hood-to-Hinge Bracket to the hood.

Okay, with the hood now free of any bind it was in, after a couple tries, I was able to get it to latch.

Presently, I've left the hood closed/latched. I'm gonna leave it this way for a while, in order to leave the hood pop spring compressed as well. I'm not really sure if this was my problem, but its been quite a while since the hood has been shut and the spring would have been sitting unsprung. Maybe the fact that it hadn't be compressed in a while made for some extra resistance, not allowing the hood to close completely and not reach the latch properly.

This is probably a stretch, but worth a shot in my opinion. Plus, as I said before, the car isn't going anywhere. So all I've got is time. I'll be sure to post another update when I get the bolts retightened and the struts reattached. Wish me luck.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:57 PM

I bought a ws6 hood for my camaro and have same issue to the front passenger side how can I aline it ?
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvin Sanchez
I bought a ws6 hood for my camaro and have same issue to the front passenger side how can I aline it ?
im the second poster (back in 09) for a long time i left the pins in. Recently while prepping for my turbo install i decided to dive into "fixing it" what i ended up doing seemed excessive and im convinced there was a flaw with these hoods. First i drilled the holes where the fender side of the hinge bolts to the hood side. A little better but not good enough. I then loosened all of the fender bolts and moved them around worked on the driver side but not the pass. I ended up putting a spacer under the black strap that connects the fender to the core support under the hood

Quick Reply: hood alignment