Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Maco paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maco paint job?

Car needs some clear but looking real close it might as well get a whole paint job since its been without clear for as long as it has.

Whats everyone think about Maco? anyone know any GOOD AZ painters more on the cheap side?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

The bad part about MAACO is they dont prep the cars good enough. My 87 T/A was painted there and the paint eventually started chipping off.

Under some spots the paint underneath was still shiny and smooth as if it wasnt prepped at ALL.

My '96 needs a paintjob and I think I'm going to prep it myself some and then let them have at it. Unless your prepping it I wouldnt change colors also.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually am the Sales Manager at Maaco and I don't know which ones you went to but if your paint is in good condition already, you will get a warranty for whatever paint service you choose. If pieces of the car have clearcoat issues then we would recondition them ($150) just meaning stripping everything off and still give you a warranty. At this shop, we have a custom airbrusher who does all custom work including flames, murals, hot hues, candies, etc. I guess you get what you pay for...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

yes you get what you Pay For, which I a recommend a Real Body Shop and Not MAACO! Had my 89 GTA painted by Maaco few years ago. Like previous post stated, NO Prep work, More Orange peel than an Orange. and to top it off, i asked they paint the wheels back Gold. During estamate process I asked REPEATEDLY if they would strip wheels down to paint them, which i was told Yes. the day i picked up car, wheels were still Black. I reminded them I wanted them pained Gold. Guess what happened....... they pulled car back into shop and 30 minutes later pulled it back out with Wheels painted Gold, along with the ROTORS and CALIPERS!!!! Dont go to Maaco!!! They are only worried about the Next Insurance Job. Sorry Ryanmgaspard
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

wow, thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Just not sure where to start with paint here, theres a couple body shops but I've heard horror stories of places around here. And I really dont wanna give some random body shop my car for a couple weeks, God knows what I would do if I worked in a body shop....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
yes you get what you Pay For, which I a recommend a Real Body Shop and Not MAACO! Had my 89 GTA painted by Maaco few years ago. Like previous post stated, NO Prep work, More Orange peel than an Orange. and to top it off, i asked they paint the wheels back Gold. During estamate process I asked REPEATEDLY if they would strip wheels down to paint them, which i was told Yes. the day i picked up car, wheels were still Black. I reminded them I wanted them pained Gold. Guess what happened....... they pulled car back into shop and 30 minutes later pulled it back out with Wheels painted Gold, along with the ROTORS and CALIPERS!!!! Dont go to Maaco!!! They are only worried about the Next Insurance Job. Sorry Ryanmgaspard
Well, they are all own and operated differently, just use the franchise name. Sucks you had a bad experience but you can't say they all are horrible. We have separate painters, sanders, owners etc. Just wanted to throw out a place to go especialy for the people on this site. I don't know anything about the work you wanted but our shop isn't like that. We put everything in writing and if you aren't happy then we will fix it and if we don't fix it there is a customer service number that reviews the work we did and if it's not correct, they make us fix it, no choice. BTW we aren't worried about the next insurance job because insurance rates are alot lower. I'm also former military and was reccommend somewhere to go for paint services.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh! Oh! ... Better get Macco !

There's alway Earl Scheib !

Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im glad i can fix my own car and do my own custom work
Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdyman
im glad i can fix my own car and do my own custom work

You do your own painting ?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Great experience with Maaco. Quick turn around, had my drivers door panel and left rear quarter panel repainted because of bad touch of paint I used to cover some scratches. Blended perfectly. Spendy but about $500 less than Abra Autobody
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You get what you pay for. Find a reputable local shop
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

I have yet to see a good, long lasting paint job from Maaco. Look for a restoration body shop. You may pay more, but your will only have to do it once.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Please do ME a favor and do NOT go to Maaco, 1 Day Paint or anything else of the sort. Ask me how I know. I don't care how small or large the project is, I had a ******* nightmare of a time, this is one time in your life you WILL get what you pay for. And the bad part is, once it becomes tainted, it's very hard to get anyone who actually IS good to work on it because they don't want their name mixed in. PM me if you want specifics. Learn from my mistake. Trust me man.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bearcatt
You do your own painting ?

i do it all, 20 yr body fender tech
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Maaco cannot color match factory paint for jack! unless you are on a serious budget spend the extra money and get it done right at a reputable collision shop.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

ya, don't go there. I did a short lived job there as a bodyman. wow. some of the stories i heard about shotty *** body work from previous bodyman there. i guess i have a lot more pride in the way i do my work, thats why i am not there anymore.

when it comes to getting stuff just resprayed, like a few people already mentioned, they don't prep things for ****. a car will come in straight off the street, doesn't get washed, go over the whole thing with a da with 600grit, then get the tight spot with a scuff pad. then wipe off and spray. it may look good when you pick it up, but thats not going to last long. go find a good shop or find a guy painting stuff in his garage, some of the best paint jobs are coming out of small garages.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thats true, you get what you pay for but for most of us, we can't afford a few thousand for a paint job. Sure it would be nice to have a show car paint job on a daily driver but some of us just want our car to be just one color. The person who is going to Maaco for a paint job knows that is just what they get, a paint job. I too had two camaro's painted by them, first one came out really nice and the second one turned out ok. I was happy with it it because it wasn't faded and it had a shine. If I didn't know how to paint now, I would let them paint my truck.

Quick Reply: Maco paint job?