Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

wheel painting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out eBay too, there was a set of black ta wheels on there and the bids weren't that high before you waste money painting chrome for it to peel later. Also you would be surprised what you can get a set of TSW or HP wheels for 140.00 a wheel on up.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
To have just the wheels done, it was 160.00. I did the lugs and caps as well. That ran me another 20.00. So 180.00 out the door. If you were closer I would recommend a place. LMK if you have any questions. I did have to do some grinding on the back of the lugs and holes to make the lugs go in. As well as the hole where the center cap went through. I guess the powder coat made them swell.
That's why any time I coat prostars I keep the powder off those areas, those lugs and caps barely fit as it is without 1-2mm of powder in there. Hopefully your coater also did not coat the backside hub where the wheel sits against your car's hubs. That is NOT safe, especially on a drag wheel. Powder is very flexible, and will push back against the torque from the lugs unlike paint which just cracks and gets out of the way under that kind of stress, and can cause lugs to loosen up. Prostars have that problem on their own thanks to the aluminum bending in when you torque them, they don't need any help. If he didn't mask that area, I highly recommend you take those wheels off and sand that powder off the hub area.

Originally Posted by DCC!!
yeah i plan on finding some rims on craiglist or maybe a junk yard lol

but can you powercoat chrome? and how much better is power coat compared to paint and clear?

and i also disagree i think it nbm looks good with black rims with or without shinny lips
I coat chrome almost every day, I do alot of Harley parts for example. It just needs to be heat tested first to be sure its in good shape and will hold up, then blasted lightly to give the surface a good profile for maximum adhesion of the powder(same as anything I coat).

PM me if you'd like any help with your project, be glad to coat them.

Sean

Quick Reply: wheel painting?