Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repainting my car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repainting my car...

It's time to get it repainted, but I want to do the prep work myself to save some $$$. What do I need to do in order to get it fully prepped? I will just be having the outside painted, and it will be the same color as it is now (navy blue metallic) so I don't have to mess with the door jams, et cetera. I tried a search and didn't find much, but if anyone could give me some advice as far as sand paper grit, sanding technique, what primer I should use, et cetera I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by Super Slow Z; 10-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if you have never done it before. It would be in your best interest to have some one there to show you or just let a professional do it. I have done 4 cars, and I am about to start on my Z. The trick with sanding is cross hatching it. Meaning sand it 3 times at a angle one way and then 3 times another way. You will need sand paper from 80 grit up to 4000. I would find a paint store, and talk to them about the body filler and primer. I personally like Z grip. And as far as a primer, get a filler primer. It will help fill up anything you didnt get perfect. Its going to take you some time to do all this, so just be prepared. GL lmk if you need any help.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
Honestly if you have never done it before. It would be in your best interest to have some one there to show you or just let a professional do it. I have done 4 cars, and I am about to start on my Z. The trick with sanding is cross hatching it. Meaning sand it 3 times at a angle one way and then 3 times another way. You will need sand paper from 80 grit up to 4000. I would find a paint store, and talk to them about the body filler and primer. I personally like Z grip. And as far as a primer, get a filler primer. It will help fill up anything you didnt get perfect. Its going to take you some time to do all this, so just be prepared. GL lmk if you need any help.
Thanks for the advice. I actually have some spare body parts from my 72 c-10 resto that I did that I plan to practice on to see if I feel comferatable with it or not.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Super Slow Z
Thanks for the advice. I actually have some spare body parts from my 72 c-10 resto that I did that I plan to practice on to see if I feel comferatable with it or not.
My dad went to auto body school, just for fun, not as a career. He taught everything I know. When you get it sanded down, its all about the feel. Thats why I said its best to have some one who knows what they are doing, show you. Then go to town. Its not that hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

imm sorry but a school is a joke to us, no offense but i learned from old crabby journey man that taught me more then a school ever would

2nd dude your asking what to do what to use, we cant teach you online i cant teach you 20 yrs in a small paragragh, it just wont happen, if your uncomfortable with trying and ya know your going to screw things up, then let us techs do it for you

if ya bring it to me ill cut ya a deal, to a certain degree, our work isnt free ya know
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

4000 grit..wow are you trying to polish it before you paint lol..

To fix a dent..Grind with 36-80..apply body filler

Sand Filler with 80-180

Then do a quick sand with 220 then prime body work

Sand primer with 320 to start-then 500-600

Spray a Sealer (make sure you cant see your 500-600 grit scratches)

Then Spray Base Coat

Last..clear

Remember all paint will shrink..So take it a step farther..most people prime over 180..Well over time youll see the 180 scratches..Then paint over 320 or 500..sorry youll see them really soon.. I take it a bit farther and go with 600 and seal it to help hind the sanding marks..

Better qaulity paints make a difference

Spies Hecker one of the best

PPG or Nason/Dupont..Nason/Dupont is cheaper for the avrage guy..Iv used a lot..I like it.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^its not as easy as it looks or sounds^^^^^^
even u sing a D.A. might look easy but its not, using a nail gun is not easy, everything takes yrs and yrs to perfect, ya just cant learn from us tech online or in a automotive forum, im sorry but its not going to happen
Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bdyman
^^^^^its not as easy as it looks or sounds^^^^^^
even u sing a D.A. might look easy but its not, using a nail gun is not easy, everything takes yrs and yrs to perfect, ya just cant learn from us tech online or in a automotive forum, im sorry but its not going to happen

Hell no its not easy lol..I rearly use a D/A but I do a lot of weekend toys and older cars. Blocking and blocking and blocking...AND MORE..lol..Im better at Painting than body work..Iv been 4 years in school and a few smaller shops and I learned more from one guy that helped me get were I am now..
Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

the first shop i worked in the guy i worked with told me remember what you learned in scool well forget it and pay attention learned alot from him now i work with his son and still learn stuff this business you will never know everything about everything and will never see 2 of the same hits
Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dumb *** me once tried to save on prep and sanded one side of a pickup truck to bare metal, my paint guy seen it and said john let me do it. he painted the pickup for a thousand $. i helped out by taking off the rubber trim and all the lights and emblems and reinstalling myself. Good luck it is fun to learn new stuff. you can do it. You said you wanted to prep not paint so it will be good learning. Yes you can't be a pro by just this forum but it can get you started. I'm not a mechanic but it sure helped to eliminate my egr,replace stripped tire rod and replace master cylinder on my Astro van when I was dead broke. Good luck, John
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bdyman
imm sorry but a school is a joke to us, no offense but i learned from old crabby journey man that taught me more then a school ever would

2nd dude your asking what to do what to use, we cant teach you online i cant teach you 20 yrs in a small paragragh, it just wont happen, if your uncomfortable with trying and ya know your going to screw things up, then let us techs do it for you

if ya bring it to me ill cut ya a deal, to a certain degree, our work isnt free ya know
My dad went back when school was really school. back in the late 80s. And he taught himself because his teacher didnt want to be there. You should see the fox body GT I did with him. The hood flew up, it had 26 door dents on one side, and 18 on the other side. I dent in the rear hatch. it had been bumped from behind, and it had hit a wall bending the front end around. We totally restored this car. Here it is at auto rama where it won first in the late model class, and George Barris also stopped buy. but like you said asking about how to do it online, is next to impossible to tell someone how to do it. You have to have some one there to show you how to do it. and help you relize when its right.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
the first shop i worked in the guy i worked with told me remember what you learned in scool well forget it and pay attention learned alot from him now i work with his son and still learn stuff this business you will never know everything about everything and will never see 2 of the same hits
dude isnt it the truth, never even stepped into a trade school, learned everything i know from allot of different people of the yrs, i worked with one kid he was in the wyo=tech??

comes to the shop with a brand new snap on box it had the 57 chevy on it, well next day boss puts a t-bird in his stall, with the work order on it he looks at me i look at him and say, ya miss wyo tech now dont ya

us journey men can teach more then a school ever can

Quick Reply: Repainting my car...