Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who tints tail lights here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
lol you guys are as shitty at **** talking as tinting tail lights..
Thank you, and you're as awesome at being an a$$hole as you are at painting tail lights.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why thank you whats funny is i have gotten so many pm's my box went full from people wanting lights tinted, FROM THIS THREAD....thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^no problem man. tell all your customers to post up pics so we can see all of your great work.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah but try making your own thread next time about it. x50

Oh yeah I painted my berger panel with rattle can too black and clear coat looks amazing. I mastered the art of spray bombing.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Minor thread jack : Kblaz, did you sand it smooth and prime and sand and then paint? Or just scuff it and paint?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The berger? Yeah I got a panel off a blue junkyard Camaro for 20 bucks in good shape and cleaned it, then used 1500grit iirc on my dual action sander worked awesome (can be done by hand). So sanded it real good till it was nice and rough to piant then cleaned with prepsol and started spraying real even coats of black. Think I did 3 coats of black let it dry then sprayed 3-4 coats of clear. Let it dry 48hrs just to be safe then wetsanded the hell out of the clear and buffed it. Came out awesome and looks great, puts a real "wtf" face on people when I tell them I spray painted it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I love tinted tails. I had them on 94 Z28, but i got busted for the lights no front plate, tinted windows, and get this a clear licence plate dust cover
So needless to say it all had to come off. But now that the camaro isn't my daily. It's gonna get 15% tint, and tinted tails again.
I did however tint the custom LED tails I made for my SRT(Thansk to a local owner for suplying the LED boards..)Daily Driver.
Three coats of niteshades, after dried I sanded smooth down to 800grit I belive. Then three light coats of clear followed by one heavy coat of clear. When the clear dried I worked from 600 down to 1500, or 2000grit(wet sanded) can't remember. Then hand polished them to a glossy shine.

Tim...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Launching!

this thread is full of fail, yes VHT tails CAN look as good as professionally sprayed ones if done right, does it take more time yes, is it worth taking pride in your own work and getting to say i did that YES!! i dont know about you "FiFdYnUtz" but id much rather work on my own car than send it in to someone
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like this is dead but ill put in my 2 cents. i would have to agree that there is no way to get the same results from a spray can as you to with a gun. i like the point that if your comfortable spray canning your lights then would you do it to your fender? i bet not one person on here would.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

*slaps palm to forehead* No **** we wouldnt spray paint a whole freakin fender but tail lights and berger panels hell yes because they are small body pieces that arent the SUBJECT OF THE ENTIRE CAR!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are basically saying you cant spray paint door handles either!!! Giotta spray booth them too because you know, they are part of the cars exterior finish...

Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

LOL yes you should spray door handles the RIGHT way...if i walked by a car and saw it had spray canned door handles i would do nothing but laugh, just like i do when i see half assed attempts at tail-lights...

and slo lt1, thats nice that you take pride in doing **** yourself, but if you got your car keyed would you take pride in repainting the whole car? you guys need to realize sometimes things are better left to professionals if you want a professional look...or at least a GOOD look...also you have to account for how long that spray can **** will last, i have seen it fade in months....i have lights i did 4 years ago that look like the day i handed them over..my clear has a lifetime warranty also

and transws6am, thank you for seeing my point...its a breath of fresh air in a cloud of ignorance...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
looks like this is dead but ill put in my 2 cents. i would have to agree that there is no way to get the same results from a spray can as you to with a gun. i like the point that if your comfortable spray canning your lights then would you do it to your fender? i bet not one person on here would.
and transws6am, thank you for seeing my point...its a breath of fresh air in a cloud of ignorance...
could i use a sharpie to draw/color a very nice picture on a piece of computer paper, yes. would i use that same sharpie marker to paint my entire room, no, i would use something made to paint larger surfaces

could i se a standard shovel to do some gardening in my backyard, yes. would i use that same shovel to dig a 15' x 20 foot sized area 10 feet deep for a new swimming pool i'm building in my backyard, no, dumbass. i would use a f$5king tractor made for digging large holes.

could i use a hammer to break out the windows in my house, yes. would i use that same hammerto demolish the entire house, no. i would use a bulldozer or wrecking ball.

are you getting the idea im running with here genius. just because you can use something as a tool to perform one job, does not mean that that same tool should be used to do ALL jobs of the same nature. would you paint the twin towers with the same gun you used to paint your car. No. does that mean that your method of painting the car is obsolete or inferior. NO. it means that different jobs require the use of different tools.

your such a f*CK!ng idiot. its amazing how somebody can put themself on this huge pedestal in their imaginary world looking down on everyone else. you truly need to get off the pills and step back into reality dude. i'm really tired of hearing from you. your such a nuisance.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL yes you should spray door handles the RIGHT way...if i walked by a car and saw it had spray canned door handles i would do nothing but laugh, just like i do when i see half assed attempts at tail-lights...

and slo lt1, thats nice that you take pride in doing **** yourself, but if you got your car keyed would you take pride in repainting the whole car? you guys need to realize sometimes things are better left to professionals if you want a professional look...or at least a GOOD look...also you have to account for how long that spray can **** will last, i have seen it fade in months....i have lights i did 4 years ago that look like the day i handed them over..my clear has a lifetime warranty also

No I'd do like I did when my Z got backed into I got a new front bumper and painted the whole ****** car at my work PROFESSIONAL and got an ss spoiler while I was at it. I actually spray painted my door handles flat black because they were raw metal so I sanded them and used rust oleum, are you gone in the head where you have to professionaly spray paint in a booth the tiny rectangle door handles on your car AHAHAHAHA!!!! Alright master professional painter, you win because you called my LT1 slow. Now you are just trying to get out of your dumbass statements the easy way by trying to turn this into an LT1 < LS1 battle so that it gets locked HA! I know your secrets man. LOL but seriously man relax you are really going overboard and making yourself look like a goof in front of everyone. Come on spray paint a little, thats what real muscle car drivers do. If you wanna polish and have every part of your car "forever encased in a lifetime warrantied clearcoat" then go buy a BMW or something like I said before.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

i see how much pride you guys REALLY take in your cars...so your saying since our cars arent bmw's or some **** that makes it okay to half *** stuff?

and crimson, your little analogies are pretty rediculous when regardless all the parts we are talking about are a part of the exterior of your car and should look their best no matter what the size....and since your so bent on comparisons, say i wreck my car and have to only paint the fender (a relatively small part) would i spray can it? no, i would use a ******* gun and some good clear...

have you EVER seen a reputable company/shop/team with spray canned taillights or anything for that matter (ex: hennessey, LPE, Speed INC, etc)? their cars arent lambo's, but they have some of the nicest **** out there, and they do things right, hence they dont HALF *** THINGS!

im blown away that you guys are resorting to calling me an idiot, saying im on a pedistal, etc... thats nice that you guys are so hell bent on rattle cans, im just here to tell you that it looks like dick 90% of the time and its not worth it when you can get them done right at a relatively cheap price...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

i didnt say i'd paint the fender dumbass. i said that is a bigger job requiring a different tool (ie. spray gun) stupid. no, i wouldnt rattle can a fender. learn to analyze an analogy

we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

oh, and i'm still waiting for your massive amount of customers to post up the immaculate looking tail lights that you do. you know, since you "have gotten so many pm's [your] box went full from people wanting lights tinted, FROM THIS THREAD" -lets see em. since these people are members on the site, they know the drill. post up the pics.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Launching!

I believe both ways can be made to look good. Proffessional spray job is the proper way. Spray painting is the cheap way. All that matters is what looks good to you. Who cares what someone else thinks. Everyones a critic but it doesn't mean you gotta please them....So let's all just get along and end the BS.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Launching!

have you EVER seen a reputable company/shop/team with spray canned taillights or anything for that matter
thats because they have the materials at their disposal
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

since when did any of the shops i mentioned have a can of clear coat and a gun laying around?

i think onebadta said it best...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

ok i agree with that

Quick Reply: Who tints tail lights here?