Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Plastic Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Plastic Repair Question

I was just wanting to ask what kind of products you guys liked using to fill holes and repair camaro bumpers with. I am currently working on a 99 bright blue metallic camaro and i am removing the body kit and was curious what product you guys really liked to use and have had good experience using to fill these holes. Let me know what you guys like to use.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first step in repaiing and or customizing plastic is ya need to know what ype of plastic it is, is it TPO, TPE, TEO, PP, POLYUARTHENE, ABS<we never fix or customize abs plastic thats the crap on saturns,

polyurathene is the only plastic that is not a thermo set offlien plastic, which mean it does not need a adheshion promoter for repair material to stick, TEO, TPO, TPE, PP are all offlien plastics which need a adheshion promoter for product to stick

so lets say the ISO code is missing, well bdyman what do i do know well.........ya cut off a small piece of plastic from the bumper get a cup of water and try to make it sink, if it doesnt sink and it floats then you must promote=adheshion promoter

i personally love using fusor products, fusor is used on and by GM, DODGE, FORD, for filling a hole or a body line, i lightly grind the plastic, then feather with 80, clean it with plastic agent or a amonia free glass cleaner, apply the adheshion promoter let it dry for 20 mins, then apply your product

i dont remember off hand the product number for the fusor product but its the extreme repair product, i let any plastic product dry for 24 hours, to fill a hole i either plastic weld it shut, or i use a plastic reinforced backing, and then i fill the hole with product

thats the basics, fusor is expensive but its worth the money, on my alero i frenched a piece of plastic in my bumper for my license plate using plastic welding and fusor, and allot of experience
Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^true

i plastic welded my bumper that was in two peices using the correct plastic material (dont remember which one) and i then laid that cross hatch material down over where i ground everything rough and i used fusor extreme bumper repair material over top of that and its been holding great..

Quick Reply: Plastic Repair Question