Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting

ok i have a few Qs about painting a car....i read some posts saying to buy good paint like dupont but where do you get it, online?....and i read something about mixing reducer but idk where to get that or how to mix it all....thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

check your phone book and look up auto paint supply stores. there should be atleast one place in your area that sells all the different paints, dupont ppg, House OF Kolor, etc... and the workers at these stores should know all about the products they are selling, as well as general knowledge of how to paint and what is needed- i know thats the case for the place i'll be getting my stuff from. to make this easier on yourself, DO NOT think that you are getting the best info on this site. there are plenty of people who have sites dedicated to helping people paint cars, and there are plenty of VERY good HOW-TO books on how to paint your car yourself. check barns & nobles, amazon, local libraries. if you look, you will find how-tos that will tell you all you need to know about the paints, how to mix them, when to use what, how to prep your car, what grit sand papers, what types of sand papers, how to use fillers, etc etc etc. even how to set up your own makeshift paintbooth.

i literally went though the appearance/detailing section and the paint/body sections, and have bookmarked about 35 threads that discussed how to paint, tips, sanding and what not, and yes, i did get some very good pointers and tips and what not. but NOBODY on the forum is going to be able to/ wants to tell you everything they know in a post, its not worth their time. but there are people who have written books specifically on the topic.

im looking to paint my first car around march so i've been looking into these things. and before, i naively thought i'd get all the answers i needed here on LS1tech, and thats just not the case. so i'm just trying to give you my $0.2 to help you along the way.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 12-15-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Orileys store is a Dupot/Nason dealer. The Nason is a cheaper paint if your wanting to save some money. Iv sprayed it a lot, never had an issue. Just a good list of things

Sand Paper
Scotch Pads (scuff pads)
Tape (lots)
Primer
Sealer
Base Coat
Reducer
Clear and Clear Ativator
Mixing Cups
Stir Sticks
Straners (spelling?)

just to name most of what youll need..

Most base coats mix 1:1 on your mixing cups it will have 1:1 2:1 3:1 ect and its pretty easy onnce you see it

Dupont/Nason Clear is 4:1

If its your first time painting Id get more than enought paint, You will spill some, Most will be lost in spraying..but anyway

1 gallon normally will do a car
1 to 2 gallons of clear, deponds on how heavy and how many coats. I like to get 2 gallons per car..

Need help with sanding or painting tips PM me..
Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally like PPG dbc system and spies hecker, to buy all ya do is go to your local body shop supplier, it is expensive i get a gallon of clear for 120-160 at my cost, and thats just the clear, you could wind up with close or over a 1,000 just in product not even including sand paper, scuff pads, tape, the spray guns, the blocks, and the d.a. it does get expensive

i can give you tips i can type until my hands go numb but with out a journeyman next to you, watching a video on youtube or buying a book really isnt going to help you, a book isnt going to tell you or show you what to do if a panle gets a fish eye, or it lifts mid spraying a coat

what type of gun is good for a apprentice or novice, painting is a art form and a natural talent, sure it can be picked up after yrs of doing it, but buying a book isnt going to help you, im just trying to help you out and give you the wake up call ya need

can i help you?? sure i can if i was next to you over the phone getting close, on messenger i can answer questions, to learn really learn someone has to be next to you teaching and showing you
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the quick replies and info
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

http://www.custompaintforum.com/
http://www.paintersforum.com/index.php

This might help a little as well, for info purposes only, but like already mentioned, go to a auto paint supply, and ask for advice there.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^thanks for posting those sites. looks like a good place to get some good info.

Quick Reply: painting