Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got a dent.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Got a dent.........

Hey guys can someone help me here? Someone hit my bird in the front right yesterday, and now I have a slight dent on the bumper and right fascia. The fascia needs to be realigned, and the bumper may also need to be adjusted, but there's nothing too serious. It's a small-medium ish dent and how much will this run me to fix it at a shop or to do a DIY? Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics of said damage plz.
Try and be in an angle where a bright light or something is being distorted by the dent, that way we can tell how large/severe the dent actually is.
If it's in the bumper, it'd be kinda hard to do it yourself since it has to be heated and molded (depending on severity).
Pics and we can help you.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'll get that pic in a few hours. It's not too big thank god
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well without pics its hard to tell but atleast $400-500
Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Here are the pics:

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/r...20this%20shit/

A guy at a body shop said $250, but that's more than I'm willing to pay. Any tips on doing it myself? Should I take off the entire fender and try to straighten it out?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try to fix it yourself but based on the price he gave, I think that's a pretty fair deal...

If you do it yourself be easy with the straightening, you don't want to crack the paint.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Dents always suck. One thing you will learn is no body work is really "cheap" persay. $250 is prob as low as it will get. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

^ No kidding. The shop I took it to was a place called "Minh's body Work" and the guy I talked to BARELY spoke english. he had to keep repeating himself for me to get what he was saying. it didn't look like the best shop either, at least compared to other ones I've seen. They'd probably charge higher. Damn this sucks
Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Try a paintless Dent Remover place too..See if they are cheaper but 250 is a fair price..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well I'm no body expert but that looks like the plastic fenders them selves aren't really dented just the metal mounts are. Granted I do see some cracks in the paint but looks to me like bending the fender mounts back and some buffing could have some descent results. Again take my advice with a grain of salt, best of luck to you it could have been much worse.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

I did what someone said to do and raised my headlights and felt in the back to see if anything was cracked or broken. It didn't appear so. From what I could tell, it just seems to be a straight up dent in the fiberglass. :\ I'm thinking I might have someone else do this, but I'm gonna take a crack at it tomorrow and see if I can straighten it out. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I did what someone said to do and raised my headlights and felt in the back to see if anything was cracked or broken. It didn't appear so. From what I could tell, it just seems to be a straight up dent in the fiberglass. :\ I'm thinking I might have someone else do this, but I'm gonna take a crack at it tomorrow and see if I can straighten it out. Anyone have suggestions?
It's actually not fiberglass just so you know. Probably the best thing you can try at home is to use a heatgun on the fender/bumper and push on it from the inside... either from the headlight pocket or from under the car (remove the shield). Your going to need to get the material HOT a blow dryer is not likely to get hot enough, after pushing on the dent (while hot) have somebody cool down the material while you keep pressure on the dent.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are the pics:

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/r...20this%20shit/

A guy at a body shop said $250, but that's more than I'm willing to pay. Any tips on doing it myself? Should I take off the entire fender and try to straighten it out?
dude really?? 250 is beyond dirt cheap, arent the fenders polyurathene plastic?? if so you ever tried to fix plastic?? its not as easy as it seems

i would pull the bumper down, and look at the damage, polyurathene holds memory which means you can release the damage with a heat gun, not blow drier

anyways 250 is cheap i would consider that estiamte some shops might be higher
Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The plastic is not bent, the metal piece behind it is. On the bottom up front you'll see a bunch of 10mm bolts holding up a plastic piece under the front bumper, take them out and look up and you'll see where the bumper and fender bolt onto a brace. Bend the brace back into place and hit the black scrapes up with some polishing compound then swirl remover then your favorite wax and you're all done. $250 to do have someone do that for you is a rip off. Takes maybe an hour.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

I can't even imagine how angry I would be if someone hit my car. Even if the damage was as light as that..
Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
The plastic is not bent, the metal piece behind it is. On the bottom up front you'll see a bunch of 10mm bolts holding up a plastic piece under the front bumper, take them out and look up and you'll see where the bumper and fender bolt onto a brace. Bend the brace back into place and hit the black scrapes up with some polishing compound then swirl remover then your favorite wax and you're all done. $250 to do have someone do that for you is a rip off. Takes maybe an hour.
thats what i would do first. IF the plastic IS bent and you have to use a heat gun go easy and dont burn the paint. I`ve seen kids do this in autobody class and its ugly. the sooner you do it the better, its like a dent in metal. the sooner you try and fix it the easier it is
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

OK, so I took off the plastic piece. had to take off the mud guard thingy to get to it, Took some pics and here's what I found. Looks like you were right about the bracket. How do I go about straightening that? here's pic of the damage:

Old 01-09-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah should I replace this whole thing or should I fix it? it looks pretty mangled. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yeah should I replace this whole thing or should I fix it? it looks pretty mangled. Thanks!
Check out a local junk yard for one hit in the rear and get it and swap it out. Once it's on everything should line up much easier. Check eBay or the classifieds here too if no local yards are available. You can probably pick it up fairly cheap.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

best bet is get a buddy with a 98 02 firebird, get em sidebyside and see what theirs looks like and base it off that. if you cant mabe someone on here can post some pics. mines sleeping for the winter but if noone posts up ill c what i can do. other options are tweek a little check tweek a little check. (edit but a new part from a junk yard would be better like techcam97 said)

Quick Reply: Got a dent.........