Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Smoothing out a console.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the kitty hair process work? You lay down fiberglass mat then the kitty hair over it in small layers? That might be easier after looking at the console I have. I am planning to delete the ash tray the cigarette lighter and where the parking brake went. I may also need to trim the passenger side down about a 1/4 of an inch to give a little bit more clearance in the car.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarox302
How does the kitty hair process work? You lay down fiberglass mat then the kitty hair over it in small layers? That might be easier after looking at the console I have. I am planning to delete the ash tray the cigarette lighter and where the parking brake went. I may also need to trim the passenger side down about a 1/4 of an inch to give a little bit more clearance in the car.
Kitty hair mixes up the same as Bondo, just by adding hardener. It has glass fibers already in it and doesn't require adding any fiberglass matting. Application is the same as body filler... taping the underside can help but this product bridges small gaps well and doesn't always require it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DriftR
Kitty hair mixes up the same as Bondo, just by adding hardener. It has glass fibers already in it and doesn't require adding any fiberglass matting. Application is the same as body filler... taping the underside can help but this product bridges small gaps well and doesn't always require it.
Ah cool, I'll see if I can pick some up this weekend. I was thinking of using some metal mesh on the backside to help match the contours especially for the hole where the ashtray went.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Made some progress. Picked up a great condition console and started working on it. Sanded down where I planned to smooth over and bought some metal mesh from home depot. Glued it down and used Kitty Hair on top to bridge the gaps. Smoothed over it with some fiberglass filler and primed, wet sanded and primed again and wet sanded to make the surface smooth.

The top of the console will be Landau black SEM paint and smooth with no texture. The bottom 1/2 of the console will be textured with SEM Texture paint and topcoated with the same Landau black color.

This is probably as far as I will get for a while because I need to pull the original seats from the car and get a set of 98+ Camaro seats to mount in place. I can't get the console fully mocked up because it hits the seat supports.

Cellphone pics.. sorry.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like it is coming along very well! Post up more pics when you get it painted

Quick Reply: Smoothing out a console.