Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Smoothing out a console.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothing out a console.

I am looking to pickup a 98-02 Camaro console to swap into my 69 Camaro. Getting it to fit in the car will be my easier part. I am looking to smooth out the hole for the parking brake handle and the cigarette lighter hole. I have used 2 part plastic epoxy before to fix a crack in my tail panel. Would this be a good choice for this?

I've seen people using fiberglass and bondo on them here as well would this be a better way to go?

After I've smoothed out those two holes 'd like to keep the textured look and give the console a nice black paint job. Any suggestions for paint that will do this, I've seen a kyrlon product for plastic that might work but I've never used it or seen results.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarox302
I've seen people using fiberglass and bondo on them here as well would this be a better way to go?

After I've smoothed out those two holes 'd like to keep the textured look and give the console a nice black paint job.
I used fiberglass/bondo and painted with VHT wrinkle black.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I used fiberglass/bondo and painted with VHT wrinkle black.
pictures? por favor
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also use a semi-flat enamel paint and wait for it to tack up- almost dry. Then take a piece of crumpled up saran-wrap and dab at it until it gets you the texture you want.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
pictures? por favor
Will get some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

fiberglass will work out fine for u
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Whistler
You can also use a semi-flat enamel paint and wait for it to tack up- almost dry. Then take a piece of crumpled up saran-wrap and dab at it until it gets you the texture you want.
Hadn't even thought of that! I think I may buy some ABS plastic If I need some additional I've seen you can heat it up and mold it. Going to delete the ash tray as well I am thinking. Should be a fun winter project.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also use rustolium "textured" spray paint. It will give the same look, color wouln't be right but you can then cover over it with any color you want & it will keep the texture underneith.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe Kitty hair would be a better choice to close the large gaps like the cigarette lighter hole and such, then bondo over that.
+1 on textured Rustoleum for a pebble finish.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

i kniw there was another thread where the guy used a foam filler for the cup holder, and the bondo up top to smooth it out. a lot of people said it may have problems though, so the kitty hait, would probably be better to finish it up.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I may actually go with some ABS sheets and cut pieces to fit to fill areas. I have some ABS Cement I will try when bonding the pieces and then smooth it over of course.

I've read you can heat up the abs and shape it however you like as well anyone here tried that? I saw on another forum a guy made a custom console that way.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kitty hair mixes up like body filler but is reinforced with fiberglass and bridges gaps fairly easy whereas body filler has a tendency to shrink and may crack and fall out. Never worked with ABS but I don't see a problem doing it that way?..
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
pictures? por favor

Glassed over ash tray, ebrake, cupholder, power windows are now GTO style, painted with VHT black wrinkle paint

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 01-11-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

^thanks for posting up the pics. that looks great. just gave me the confidence to test out some stuff with my interior, and fix the console in moms 78 Z28 im restoring. i actually just refinished ALL of the interior trimming, panels, console, etc a couple weeks ago. i redid everything from the interior, so it all looks brand new, although it didnt look that bad for being 31 years old. the only thing i had a little issue with was the console. it had a pretty deep burn from the cigerette lighter, so i had to fill it. that was easy, only problem is that there is now one smoothed area on a console that has a wrinkled texture, so the area stands out. but now im gonna go pickup a can of that VHT wrinkle paint and go over it again, hopefully then it'll all have a uniform look.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Launching!

That paint came out looking really good! Were you able to find it in any stores? I've seen krylon's wrinkle paint at an Autozone but thats all i've found so far.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

the pepboys in my area carries more VHT products than any other auto stores around here. i actually went to autozone and they didnt have the VHT nightshade, so the worker told me to check pepboys--who had a lot of VHT's stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarox302
Were you able to find it in any stores? I've seen krylon's wrinkle paint at an Autozone but thats all i've found so far.
I have only found it at one Pepboys in my area. Lots of places carry Krylon textured paint but I have never seen it in black. The VHT was a bit hard to use on plastic as it did not want to wrinkle on some areas. I used a heat gun on some areas.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is an article on how to make your own, based on a previous design. Pretty cool.

Link PDF
Old 01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An expanding foam will be more then enough to fill in like the cup holder. Its light weight, easy to shape to what you want, and when its dry is gets pretty hard. Then put a layer of fiber glass over it and smooth it out then paint. I used it to fill a lot of stuff on my challenger project from the old dash to the door panels im working on now. I can post a couple of pictures later today. Another thing is that i really didnt like body filler to smooth the fiber glass, I used that fiberglass resin gel that mixes up like bondo and then sanded that out smooth.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
An expanding foam will be more then enough to fill in like the cup holder
I would cut out the cup holder from the bottom and put painters tape over the top. Then fiberglass it from the bottom. The fiberglass will be stronger since it will adhere to the lip on the inside of the cup holder. You will also use less fiberglass/resin/filler, and use less bondo smoothing out the top once the painters tape is removed.

Quick Reply: Smoothing out a console.