Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Looking for proper paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for proper paint

I have a 00 sebring silver SS and am looking to do a black berger on it. I want the black to match the top of the car by the ttops. Is there a paint code I should be looking for or does anyone know it? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

cmon i know there is someone who has done this...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

check the spray paint area of your local auto stores, and look through the dupli-color paints. they have a couple different blacks. i always use the "universal black", which is a basic gloss black finish, should match up with everything else perfectly. they also have "GM black" made to match with gm's basic black color, so it should be perfect. although i'd pretty much bet any amount of money that the black labeled "universal" is the same as the stuff labeled "GM", "Ford", and every other make that doesnt have any pearl or metallic added to their paints, like BMW (i think)
ever

really though, its just black. you can pretty much pick up any can of glossy black spray paint and be fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont spray paint it..thats soo cheap...If you really want it 100% matched..go to a body shop and have them scan the color or an Orileys or someplace that deals with paints..they can get the color for you..

Black is not black

There are all kinds of blacks..look at them under good lights..blue blacks brown blacks..Greyish blacks..thats just solids..wait till u get into metalics!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I agree, pay a bodyshop to do a basecoat clearcoat finish on your panel. It will hold the shine and look sweet. I beleive the black color code your looking for is WA 8555.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ The GM code 8555 is just a basic GM black..from vetts to fbodys who knows whatelse..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

dont use dupi color from like autozone its cheap stuff .. mah dads ah painter so ah kno .. and im good at paint . ask em for gloss black because different paint brnads have different names . gloss black should match the 8555 perfectly.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

forgot this was the paint/body section. a whole bunch of paint guru's in here, so the spray paint stuff doesn't fly here.

post this up in the appearance section and you'll find a rediculous amount of people with good looking panels they painted, same for the ceta mod on t/a's. DON'T get me wrong though, i know a pro paint job will look much better and have a better finish. but that's not always in everyone's budget. and when i originally read it i thought he was asking about spray paint.

now that i re-read it, i'm not sure what method of paint you're going for, are you asking about paint codes so you can shoot it with a gun, or to rattle can it??
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

i used the duplicolor universal black/clear and my gloss berger looks perfect.
if you spray it your self prep is key.
my buddy who deals with restoration and show paint looked at my berger and said he cant tell that i painted it but some people have the knack for it some dont so if your not comfortable doing it then take it to a shop.
click the link in my sig for pics.

Quick Reply: Looking for proper paint