Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

frame bent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default frame bent?

I got rear ended last year in ss. I got hit in the left rear rim and bent the **** out my rear quarter, bumber, spoiler and taillight. The rim took most of the impact. I'm getting tired of looking at her in that kind of shape some I am going try to do the job my self. It does seem somewhat complicated but I am a welder/fabricator so maybe that will help. I was wondering if i can measure for square underneath? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna post pics tomorrow. Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was going to say need pics, and for measuring ya need frame measurements
and get good pics of the car underneath too so one of us can show you where and how to measure
Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Messurements will tell you if the frame is bent. I used to have a website with them all but I forget it :/
Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not just measurements, if the 1/4`s are buckeled, gaps at the 1/4 to door are off, and just looking at the rear frame rails, you will see if one of them is bent
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I am in the same boat, bought a 02' with a wiped right quarter. Had a feeling the rear was pushed to the driver's side and it is. After looking under the car I can see that the panhard bar is bent along with the upper brace and the mount. The brake rotor also had .070" run-out and most of it is on the axle flange you can also tell looking at the bump stop rests and the sway bar end links. This is all after it had been pulled on a rack....poor job apparently. The good news is that the frame itself doesn't look damaged and the panhard bar is a good weak link to bend. If you were hit primarily in the wheel everything that holds the rear in place should be looked at first, including the housing, rotor, and shaft it all may have saved the frame.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

The easiest way to check for frame damage is to x it out, find holes or bolts that are it the same location on each side and measure in an x pattern once from the doors to the rear bumper, the firewall to back of door area, and core support to firewall. Hope this helps you out.

Plus your measurments should be within 1/8th of an inch of each other to be in tolerance
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Like Bdyman said....Pictures!!!

Quick Reply: frame bent?