Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Are you suppose to have a license to paint cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you suppose to have a license to paint cars?

i heard of a guy getting in trouble for painting cars and the neighbors reported him for the fumes/overspray getting on their house supposely. guy got in trouble.

what all do i need to do to paint cars for friends only... at my house.
i have a $6,000 building beside my house.. i live in the country.. Starke, Florida.

usually i paint just for myself. i know this one guy that is always visiting his family across the street from me and he stopped and asked me to paint his firebird. i told my friend and he was paranoid about it..told me not to do it because he could be setting me up and will report me. since the guy knows my girlfriends ex-boyfriend and we all know how ex's are jealous of the new person. so... i'm kinda scared to do it now.

so how much trouble could i get into.

i use a gravity gun with no funs. so i doubt any neighbors can complain about fumes. the land next to me is vacant..so no close neighbors. ppl will notice my cars being painted but they cant prove that i did it.

do i need a license as long as i'm just painting for myself and friends?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

all I know is that my rents wouldn't allow me to build a shed to paint because we don't live in commercial zoning.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

oh. well i just have a building full of tools. to work on cars. and i also paint in it.
havent had any problems with dust or anything. so its not just for painting.

can i get in trouble for welding exhausts for other people also?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean technically yes, you can get in trouble for even working on other ppl's cars without being ASE certified if caught, but it would have to take a pissed off neighbor who's tired of seeing pieces of **** near their property to report you... if I lived far from neighbors and could get away with painting cars I would go ahead and just do it, but legally you can't IIRC
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

well..my girlfriends ex lives 2 houses down.
thats how i meet her. and he hates it. but he's extremely jealous of me.
he flipped his truck and is paralyzed so he's in a wheelchair and i think he likes attention.
he dont exist in my world though.
but anyway i put a wooden hide-a-way fence up so he cant see my yard at all.
he likes to sit on his porch in the wheelchair and stare over at my yard. but he cant do it now.
the house in between us is empty.

what kind of trouble? fees?
how much trouble is it to get certified? is it one certification or just for different areas. i wouldnt mind being a legal painter and welder. dont care to be a mechanic. hate working on engines.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not to sure, but the last class i went too here in chicago i could be wrong but the fine is over 25k, my neighbors dont care if i paint, so in my case im fine, but some people hate the smell the noise so you could be really screwed

do we need a license for painting?? nope not at all,
Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just don't let the EPA get wind of it, but otherwise I wouldn't worry a bit. I paint my and friends cars all the time in my shop in a residential area, ofcourse I'm not such a sloppy painter I get overspray outside my shop and on cars next door.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No its not illegal for you to paint cars, but the reason people get into trouble for doing it most of the time is a lack of way to dispose of the used products. All the primer, thinnner, sealer, clear that doesnt get used should be disposed off properly or the EPA will throw a bitch fit. I would recommend that you just dump all the unused materials in a 55gallon drum, or plastic container then once yoour done or its full find a local place to dispose the waste.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
i mean technically yes, you can get in trouble for even working on other ppl's cars without being ASE certified if caught

This is all misinformation.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Just keep it clean, simple and quiet. Don't advertise anything either, especially if you don't live in an area zoned for business - that's where they can really get you.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

regardless if you have a license to paint or not....if you're not centralized in a commercial zoning you're legally not allowed to paint in your backyard. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

regardless if you have a license to paint or not....if you're not centralized in a commercial zoning you're legally not allowed to paint in your backyard. correct me if i'm wrong.
Why would you no be able to? Commercial means business. If you arent "making any money" outta the deal and its a hobby I would tell whoever to blow me. Pre recreation. Why do they sell duplicolor???
Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

He is kind of right, I just went to a class to get my epa license to paint, this is a new requirement in that class they stated you must be licensed, have a spray booth filter out going air with filters that meet their requirements and you spray equipment with proper transfer rates. they also had rules about using and applying some materials, failure to meets meet these requirments was a 25,000 dollar fine.

Quick Reply: Are you suppose to have a license to paint cars?