Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont shave the door handles.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

So, what did you use to fill the holes before putty coat? Hate to dissapoint you but if it's all putty coat it's going to fall out, and sooner than you think.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I cut out a piece of metal and epoxied it inplace first.

I have never actually done this process but have watched sevral others do it in person and on car shows. Really wish it was a metal door so I could have welded a patch in but can you do?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, watching it on a tv show it looks soooooooooooooooo easy, why do think well becasue the guy doing might be a experienced fabricator or a body man its not as easy at it looks

the door is smc, so i would either use fiberglass matt, or a piece of smc and use the smc panle bond or panle bond 2 different materials right there, ya just dont fill this hole with "bondo"
Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

What is it with the personal attacks here? That's at least the third time I have been talked down to by you and it's starting to get old. Constructive critisim is fine but there is no reason to get all butt hurt because you know more than me and wish to rub it in my face.

I am not some dumbass kid fresh out of high school here. I have been a mechanic for the last 8 or 9 years and have been in the car world for the last 12 or so.

I didn't use "bondo", I used a light weight polyester filler called putty-cote. I know using bondo to fill a hole or large dent is wrong. I filled the key holes in a manner that will keep it from cracking in the future by using a little inside trick.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Simmer down man, I'm not hating on ya and don't think the others are either. We do this for a living. I was curious how you shaved your locks because if you did it wrong we could save you some major headaches down the road. You did your locks the second best way but they will eventually crack out because the smc your door is made from and the metal used to fill the hole expand and contract at differant rates causeing it to crack. This may take some time but it will happen. The best way would have been to get some pieces of a bad door at the salvage yard, cut out your circles from the scrap door using the same contour and then using smc repair to bond and fill. All in all good luck I just wanted to make sure you didn't tape over the back side of the hole and fill it in.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Realizing I did it wrong, I started over. I didn't have a spare door so I did the next best thing. I chopped up some fiberglass matt and pressed it into the key hole. As it dried I spread it out in the back of the door and in the front too. Once it was all dry, I spread some of my light weight filler in and finished it off.

I can admit when I am wrong and I was. It started cracking within a week.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

what did you use as a filler because fiberglass in its self will do the same but take longer because it has just enough differance that it to will expand and contract differant. the best thing to use is an actual smc repair filler that is very simular to body filler. hope this helps and glad it didnt happen after paint.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

I used poly-cote from ORiely's. It comes with the blue activator and is pretty light and easy to sand.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Is it made for a smc repair, or did you mean putty coat. Putty coat is made as skim glaze to finish small repairs and smooth heavier scratches. Can be used as a heavier filler but still not sure if it would work good to just fill holes with matt backing
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Shave them. I'm going to get smoothlocks, cause I don't really need to repaint or anything. I like the look of the door, without locks.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

I had no real holes to fill with the body filler, more just low spots and scratching from taking off the excess fiberglass.

Quick Reply: To shave or not to shave?