Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

rock chipped and bubbling SMC hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rock chipped and bubbling SMC hood

this is the hood of my black ss. its seen ALOT of highway miles from the previous owner. its got about a million rock chips, a couple pretty deep ones. its also bubbling at very front along the edge. the front bumper is off because im having it painted at work. i would like to do the hood too, but i want to know whats involved in filling all those rock chips on an SMC hood. also, whats causing the bubbling? to my knowledge the hood has never been hit or re-sprayed.

hood is clean in the pics below, none of what you see is dust or dirt, all rock chips

my buddy who is doing the paint work does awesome work. he just doesnt have any experience with this material and we want to do it right if its gonna be done. i may end up selling it for what i can and get sunoco or something. if you have any experience refinishing a hood like this please advise. thanks!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

I got a damaged SS hood from a swap meet for a decent deal.
I repaired it with "fiberglass" that was supposed to work for SMC hoods also. I painted it along with the rest of the car and now I have bubbles where the fiberglass repair was done! I'm going to end up respraying the whole front end but if anyone has any ideas on why this happened I would like to know also. Maybe some special adhesion promoting primer??
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MATTKO91Z
I got a damaged SS hood from a swap meet for a decent deal.
I repaired it with "fiberglass" that was supposed to work for SMC hoods also. I painted it along with the rest of the car and now I have bubbles where the fiberglass repair was done! I'm going to end up respraying the whole front end but if anyone has any ideas on why this happened I would like to know also. Maybe some special adhesion promoting primer??
yea thats what im afraid will happen

any ideas anyone?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

The same thing happened to my hood, I pressed on one of the bubbles and water came out? Anyone have any idea of what caused this or how easily it can be fixed?

Quick Reply: rock chipped and bubbling SMC hood