Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can you clear coat the center cap on 10-spoke rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you clear coat the center cap on 10-spoke rims?

Idk if this is the right section or not, so if it isn't; Mods please move.

Im getting sick a tired of having to replace the center "star cap" on my 10-spoke rims b/c the damn "SS" get rubbed off after >1 yr . This is the 3rd damn time i will have to replace them, and i was wondering if it is possible to clear coat them. They're a shiny plastic "chrome", so i didn't know if; A) the clear would even stick to it, or B) if there was a special clear i have to use. Below is a link to what I'm talking about.

It is just that everytime i wash and dry the damn things, i lose part of an "S"; i'm kinda hoping i can clear the new ones before i put them on to protect them. I'm also concerned that SLP now has them on "clearance"; i'm thinking these are going to go the way of the "Doe-Doe Bird", much like the rest of SLP's 4th-Gen support....

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...35&BIG=10635-1
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

25 looks and no one knows???
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Default 10 Spook wheel saps

I've had a set of the same chrome caps since 2001 and the SS is still there with no fading at all. Are you using a polish on them??? You can't polish plastic chrome like you can metal. That will take the lettering off if your doing that!!

As far as clear coating them I've been sorry every time I've cleared polished wheels. It always peals off at some point. Paint will not stick to a smooth surface very well.

Hopes this helps.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Red face

O wow, this I did NOT know...

Yes, yes I WAS using the same chrome polish, that i use on my chrome rims, on the center caps. Wow, I totally feel like a total jack *** .

N e ways, there isn't a way to clear JUST the center caps? I didn't think there was since the caps are smooth and, obviously, i wouldn't want to scuff them up before hand (would defeat the purpose). I was thinking along the lines of when people VHT their tails, that is smooth and that sticks. right?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just get a piece of clear vinyl to lay over it?

Quick Reply: Can you clear coat the center cap on 10-spoke rims?