Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

from red to SOM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010 | 04:55 PM
Banned

Default from red to SOM?

what do you guys think? i have a red 2000 firebird, do you think it would look wierd if i had it painted SOM, but kept under the hood red? that would be the only thing red, everything else would be SOM.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

i dont think it'd look to good. sure red, could look good as an accent color, but to leave everything in the engine bay red, it would just look like you didnt want to pay to get it all done.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:15 PM
Banned

the place that i called macco. said that they would not paint where there were wires, and i dont know a place that would do that. i dont want to take the engine out.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike mlodecki
the place that i called macco. said that they would not paint where there were wires, and i dont know a place that would do that. i dont want to take the engine out.
Man, please DO NOT use macco. Sure its cheap, but there is a reason for that.
Old 03-17-2010 | 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

I agree. Macco is NOT the way to spend your money.

However, if you find someone who will paint your car SOM with the exception of the engine bay, you could Duplicolor the engine bay yourself like I have in the past.
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex41
However, if you find someone who will paint your car SOM with the exception of the engine bay, you could Duplicolor the engine bay yourself like I have in the past.
Word up. Save yourself a fortune.

BTW, I congratulate you on properly identifying the most bad *** F-body color there is.
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

you could always paint under the engine bay black
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it need to be repainted or do you just WANT to have it repainted SOM? Either way, like everyone else said, DON'T use Macco!
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

If you want to change the color save your money and take it to a shop that will disassemble the car and do it right. If you don't it will cost you more down the road to get the cheap paintjob fixed and redone
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

i would go to a good body shop and have a good quality and shinny paint job instead of worry about the money do it once and right cheaper in the long run trust me ive had to fix many at my body shop from people who didnt know what they was doing and shouldnt have been doing in the frist place
Old 03-20-2010 | 02:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ky_black_ss
i would go to a good body shop and have a good quality and shinny paint job instead of worry about the money do it once and right cheaper in the long run trust me ive had to fix many at my body shop from people who didnt know what they was doing and shouldnt have been doing in the frist place
+1
+1 ON NOT USING MACCO!!! I have seen them get painted there a week later go to wash it at a carwash and off comes the paint!
Old 03-20-2010 | 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

it'd really be easier to sell the red car and buy a som car. You have to think about under the carpet, door jams, under the hood, engine compartment, etc etc etc.. It'd be costly to say the least.
Old 03-24-2010 | 08:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by who_needs_maf?
it'd really be easier to sell the red car and buy a som car. You have to think about under the carpet, door jams, under the hood, engine compartment, etc etc etc.. It'd be costly to say the least.
I agree. Considering the cost of a good paint job, there's probably less of a price difference if you were to find a SOM car with comparable mileage / age / condition as yours.

It would be a different story if you were going with a custom color, but for a factory color, I say sell and buy the color you want. At least then you know that everything matches.
Old 03-24-2010 | 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by who_needs_maf?
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I agree. Considering the cost of a good paint job, there's probably less of a price difference if you were to find a SOM car with comparable mileage / age / condition as yours.

It would be a different story if you were going with a custom color, but for a factory color, I say sell and buy the color you want. At least then you know that everything matches.
HEAVENS NO, SOM cars are not easy to get. not only are they harder to come by in genereal, the owners of them know that everyone wants that color, so when one is up for sell, that alone pushes their prices up. everything equal, a SOM car goes for quite a bit more than a red car.

are there even any SOM v6's? or base T/A's for that matter? i've only seen WS6's, SS's, Z28,s and a couple formulas with tht from the factory.
Old 03-24-2010 | 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome color, i have visions of my car becoming that color end of summer.
Paint work is just like building a motor, sure there is a difference in price but how long will it perform?
Old 03-24-2010 | 07:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

So the difference in price is what, 4-6k? I think that a decent paint job, complete, done right is in the range.
Old 05-22-2010 | 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have seen ONE s.o.m v6 i thought it was a trans am for little to nothing and stopped to buy it... when he popped the hood i walked away
Old 05-22-2010 | 02:56 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

It's not like the engine compartment is SOM on the SOM cars anyway. GM uses satin non-metallc paint for under the hood so spray painting it yourself afterwards isn't that bad...
Old 05-22-2010 | 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

I have seen all f-bodies in SOM. To sell your car and buy another is kind of ridiculous unless yours is a problem child, but you never know if you are getting someone else's problem child.

I just painted the underhood on my red TA black using a gun and clear cost me 200 in materials. I plan on painting the car a different color this winter.

Quick Reply: from red to SOM?