Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help dealing with a pinstripe (Pics added 6/12))

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help dealing with a pinstripe (Pics added 6/12))

So I just purchased a NMB 2002 TA, and the previous owner had tan pinstripes on the car. I was not a fan, so I slowly peeled them off. I also used some safe sticker removal to get all the glue residue off, and it looks good...

Except when I peeled the stripe off of the driver's door, there was another stripe of the same color under it So I go to peel that one off, and it won't budge. It looks like the clearcoat might be over it. At the very edge of the door I got a small piece off, and the paint looked good underneath it, but the rest I don't want to mess with since it will not peel off at all. Other than taking it to a body shop, anyone know what my next step should be?

Last edited by StreetLethal; 06-12-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

if someone blended the door at one time and taped up the stripe, applied color then removed the tape over the stripe and cleared the door, the stripe will need to be removed with a stripe remover (air tool with a rubber wheel) and the door will have to be repainted, and you could run into blending the fender and quarter panel to match,,,,
I know it sounds crazy that some idiot would tape a stripe up to paint a panel and then clear over it but i see this every day and it drives me crazzzzzzy!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cubezilla
if someone blended the door at one time and taped up the stripe, applied color then removed the tape over the stripe and cleared the door, the stripe will need to be removed with a stripe remover (air tool with a rubber wheel) and the door will have to be repainted, and you could run into blending the fender and quarter panel to match,,,,
I know it sounds crazy that some idiot would tape a stripe up to paint a panel and then clear over it but i see this every day and it drives me crazzzzzzy!!!!
That sounds like what may have happened. Here are some pics to help see exactly what I am looking at. I do know that the car has been repainted for sure. The RPO sticker is missing, there was a touch of overspray on one of the exhaust tips, and there is small spot on the front bumper where I can see that the paint was applied to heavily. I'm guessing the car got a new door skin, and needed paint work done on the rear quarter panel and bumper at some point. The previous owner said that it got hit in the rear quarter before he owned it, Carfax matches up with this as well. Anyways, the car runs like new and looks good, but this pinstripe is driving me nuts.

Here is where I started to try and take it off, you can see the clearcoat coming with it, so I just stopped.

Notice how the pinstrip fades as it goes toward the front of the car, very odd. About 1/3 of the stripe is partially blue.

I'd hate to spend hundreds to take care of this. Any way to remove the clear, then take the stripe off, and re-clear it? Of course I could always put another pinstripe on over it, but I like the clean look.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Took the car to the body shop today and they said that taking it off would leave an a strip with no clearcoat. In other words, they would have to take it off, and repaint the panel..all because somebody was too lazy to take the stripe off and cleared over it.
I couldn't justify the cost of repainting the door and then blending, so I'm getting a metallic charcoal stripe put on over it. While I'd prefer no stripe at all, I think that this will look pretty sharp.

Quick Reply: Need help dealing with a pinstripe (Pics added 6/12))