Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Single step gloss black. Would clear do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Single step gloss black. Would clear do anything?

I am using an automotive exterior paint for a couple pieces in my T/A. I have a good gloss black with a hardener (4:1 ratio). I have access to a booth in a week and want to get it just right. At the paint shop they said I wouldn't need a clear for protection because of the hardener. However, I want the deepest gloss that I can get. Would adding a couple coats of clear do anything to deepen the shine? Would I need to put a hardener in the clear? Would polishing these parts accomplish the same affect?

What should I do!? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single stage paints are just that: single stage. They are not designed to use a clear coat. If think you want to use a clear coat; get a 2 stage base/clear system.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

I have no desire to go with a two step paint or the single stage. Will either give me better shine, quality, or depth?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Im not a paint expert , but I built 2 full custom sets a headlights for my Cobalt SS and we used a single stage urethane black painted with a gun . The finish was amazing . It was recommended by a friend who paints . He said the paint is hard and very durable , easy as hell to spray and has a deep gloss after polishing . I think he was right on all accounts

Last edited by LT4vert; 05-17-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
I have no desire to go with a two step paint or the single stage. Will either give me better shine, quality, or depth?
A base/clear will give great results with better UV protection, and less labor after the paint is done.
A single stage will give great shine/depth if you spend enough time on it with sanding/buffing/polishing after the paint is on. I think the single stage gives less UV protection and will start to fade in a few years if you don't keep it maintained.

I think that is right.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can clear over single stage. It will help it hold its shine. make sure you use the hardener for the clear.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 98 gt mustang that was wrecked and repaired and they used a single stage and cleaned and polished it looked great but after a month or so even with sealants on so on it would start to oxidize and start hazing.
the bc/cc is a lot less work after the fact.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

What about interior parts? This is for the top of the center console and a couple other interior plasics?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do body work/custom paint work out of my shop at home, I do a lot of Single Stage for buddies and to save them money. If it were mine, I would put another 2 coats of clear over the single and not think twice. But I wouldnt do it right after spraying the single. Let it set up, over night and get hard then wet sand it with like 1000 girt wet/dry and then shoot two more coats of clear. This will give it a better depth and It helps protect it in the long run, and if something comes up and needs to be sanded or buffed it makes life much easyer IMO..

You will need an activator to go with your clear if you go that route and its the same 4:1. Most Paint suppliers and/or Companies will label how to mix their products..