Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

possible to repair small tear in bumper and repaint part of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default possible to repair small tear in bumper and repaint part of it?

so i was backing up the driveway today trying to get as far to the right as i could in the garage now that we have 2 cars in there and i caught the right rear lower bumper on a piece of landscaping wood that goes around our house. It made a small puncture that i can feel pushed in on the other side of the bumper but can't push it back out. basically it tore it slightly about the size of a quarter and that little section is not lined up with the rest of the bumper and then it scratched it pretty good. Since the bumper's paint is only ~ 5 years old i don't know if i want to spend $300+ having the whole bumper repainted but i'd like to fix it. Any ideas where to get it done for less? I'm guessing a full repaint with a fiberglass fix is going to run $300 or so.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Well i found a guy who works at a body shop who is going to fix it for me after hours for $125. Basically it will require heating the panel in that spot to pop the piece in place and then some fiberglassing work and then paint. I'm guessing a normal on the books job would be ~ $300
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he using fiberglass to repair it, run away from him and never look back.

The bumber is semi-rigid urethane and needs to be repaired with compatible materials. Fiberglass will most definately crack out at some point.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

he didn't say he was fiberglassing it. he actually said something about heating it up and bonding it back together. I think i just typed the word fiberglass to mean he is bonding it back together.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are apples and orages when i fixed one on my old bird i melted it back together on the back and braced it with a mesh screen and flexable puddy but thers a better way they now have a pannel glue that bonds really strong and hard like metal alot of body shops use itr now ill try to get the name of it
Old 05-28-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

they said they did the melting method and then used some sort of polyurethane repair filler or something. I saw it the other day fixed but not painted and what they used was white. I got a glimpse of it today painted but not buffed/washed and you couldn't tell where the damage was. They are actually washing it and buffing it as i type this and are going to be delivering it back to me this evening. (apparently i can't really leave my other car at their shop over the weekend since there are a bunch of cars that might get towed this weekend so they are going to drive my car back to my house and then i'm going to drive the guy back to the shop with it. it's only ~ 8 mi each way)

Quick Reply: possible to repair small tear in bumper and repaint part of it?