Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

calling all paint and body pros.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation calling all paint and body pros.

OK here is a little background I am a gm certified mechanic I have worked on cars my whole life and have a full shop at the house but I have never messed with paint or body work im gonna tackle painting my 97 jeep wrangler so here are the questions.(there is no major body work just one pea size ding)
1.what grit sand paper do I use?
2.what Body filler/body filler do I use?
3.what grit sand paper do I use to block and smooth.
4. do I need to sand after I prime?
5. this is a DD so do I go base coat clear coat or do a one sage paint?
6. any recommendations on a good inexpensive gun.

sorry for all the questions just trying to get everything together...

here is what im working woth....

Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i applaud your confidence to tackle a job like this...first you need to head over to your local barnes and noble, and purchase a "how to paint" book in their automotive section... read it, then come back here with any more questions...it's going to cover prepping surfaces for paint, the different types of paint, how to tape off the jams, gun control etc etc..
Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^that.

better to get a book thats gonna cover all the details, and then just come here to clear up any minor things. The people here who do have all the knowledge on the subject, dont have the time/incentive to sit down and give you all the info you'll really want to do a job like this.

I'm going to be painting my car as well, along with a bit of custom body work, and from the threads that have been started here that i've researched, i quickly realized this site wasn't gonna be the biggest resource in getting the job done. But there are several people here who will give you any tips/advice they have.

Quick Reply: calling all paint and body pros.