Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wierdest light problem??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierdest light problem??

well i have a Third gen camaro. i decided to VHT the taillights. so i do the usuall sand with 500 then 800 grit clean then spray vht then clear. well after i let them sit, the REVERSE and BLINKER lense start to show little cracks in them that progressively got larger??? the brake light lenses look perfect its super wierd. will post pics later
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracks in the paint or the lens? Maybe your clear isnt compatable with the VHT and the brake lenses dried more than just a flash. Sand and try again. Allow more dry time after VHT. If the VHT cracks before you clear, you need to clean the lenses better. If you used grease and wax remover, you have to get it ALL off. After sanding, clean with rubbing alcohol and allow to dry completely before paint. *shrugs* Other than that, hold your left foot up, your tongue between your front teeth and wink your left eye and hope luck helps you out! Good luck man. Let us know when you get it figured out!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said cause even if you do it again hey look at it like i do its more pratice for ya lol
Old 07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys im resanding them down today
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

well here are some pics. as you can see the right side looks good but see the cracking on the left
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooo, looks like your coats were WAY too thick and too wet between coats. I'm assuming you're in SC, so with the humidity of our southern states, allow more flash time between coats and keep your coats thin. The first and maybe second coats shouldn't give complete coverage of the area being painted. Allow complete drying between VHT and clear coat.