Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hot Rod Flats Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hot Rod Flats Durability?

well after getting hit by a drunk chick i decided to just get the whole car painted with the insurance (i also bought myself a new vfn hood ) im really leaning to the hot rod flatz black to paint the whole car but im worried about the durability of it. it is a single stage paint without a clearcoat and that is whats making me get alittle worried about it.
to anyone who has ever used it. how has it held up to the weather? mine will be outside 24/7
Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

nobody?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not get a flat black with flatning agent clear
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

about 600 more due to different supplies and the extra coats
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Teching In

hot rod black does provide uv ray protection if thats what you getting at. The prep work will make a paint job durable, no flaking.... from my experience, ive been professionally painting for 5 years, i have had no problems with it.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Contact Ocala93TA (I believe that is the correct user name). He painted his car SEM Hot Rod Black which is a single stage satin black. He says it has held up well for over a year now.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

It should look mean as hell!! I saw a camaro for sale on here this week that was a flat black color and i loved it..
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Teching In

SEM Hot-Rod Black here on my 68 LS1 LeMans. Can't say on the durability because I just got it back from the paint shop in April, but my painter says it should hold up as well as other paints and (as skorch1ss already said) it's all about how it's prepared underneath...
Attached Thumbnails Hot Rod Flats Durability?-haydocy-2010-g.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

I just painted some stripes with this on my truck. Seems to be holding up well, only complaint I have is that you CANNOT spray wax and wipe it. It has to be washed to get the crap off. There is no protective coat on it, and I scratched the **** out of it. Another pointer, ensure the mix is spot on everytime and the gun pressure stays equal. You can actually adjust how "flat" the black actually gets.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I am a painter and fabricator and a restoration shop. I sprayed my old 67 chevy truck with SEM Hot Rod Black. It looked great but did fade a little over time. I just sprayed a military issue *****'s pickup with Hot Rod Flatz Olive Drab green, and it laid out a little nicer and was easier to spray than the SEM paint, but haven't got to test its durability yet and the vehicle isn't completely back together yet. Hot rod flatz does have a flat clear, and I know its an added cost, but could be worth it for ease of mind if you feel you need a clear coat.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

the person that is painting it also painted the murdered out formula thread's car so i konw that he knows how to shoot it
Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My buddy has been painting for about 6 years now on a daily basis. I've also decided on flat black. He told me the Hot Rod black doesn't really last. He told me to use the true Lambo flat black with a flattened clear and like bowtie said, get the mix PERFECT or it won't match.

At several hundred $$$ for materials alone, I told him screw it. 1 gal of flat black Rustoleum, thank you very much hahaha
Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 PM

I painted my hot rod MG with that Sem Hot Rod black, it was a little weird going on but I love it. With the catylist you put in it, it should last a long time. I know it's tough as nails to sand off, I had to redo a door due to the air hose smacking it. So far no stone chips or any other problems. It's been about a year since being painted.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
My buddy has been painting for about 6 years now on a daily basis. I've also decided on flat black. He told me the Hot Rod black doesn't really last. He told me to use the true Lambo flat black with a flattened clear and like bowtie said, get the mix PERFECT or it won't match.

At several hundred $$$ for materials alone, I told him screw it. 1 gal of flat black Rustoleum, thank you very much hahaha
see my buddy (who paints showcars and will not paint a car for under 10k) said that the hot rod flatz is the best flat non clear coat there is out on the market so thats why i chose to get it done in that color
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

^^This. Every sight I did research on had the same opinion. The SEM Hot Rod paint is the best Satin on the market right now for a true single stage paint. No one I have seen has had ANY complaints about it chipping off or chalkin up/fading out over time.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe he botched the mix with the single stage or messed something up after. Or maybe the owner didn't maintain it right.

Do flats have any special cleaning or maintenance?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn! Well I almost hit the anniversary to the date of the last post, but I'm not going to wait 20 days

So how did that SEM Hot Rod Flat work out with you guys? I am going to have my T/A Vert murdered out and I want to use the best out there of what I can afford. The guy painting my Bird seems to like PPG, but I've heard that DuPont makes a murdered out specific kit that suppose to be the ****.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Flats Durability?