Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

NBM Paint Repair, Touch Up or Re-Spray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NBM Paint Repair, Touch Up or Re-Spray?

I'm looking for advice on some paint repair for my Navy Blue Metallic Camaro. This is the original 1999 paint. If I was to get this touched up would it look ok? If I was to get this re-sprayed would they be able to match it up without the shade being off? I'm kind of afraid if I got it re-sprayed that it wouldn't match correctly and look like ****.

Thanks guys

Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Launching!

It depends on how it's touched up.

If it's just one of those cheap kits, it probably will look like crap, metallic paint (in my experience) is very difficult to match for chips and scratches.

To get it professionally done, it would have to be resprayed and blended in correctly, it will look great.

But is that worth it?

My advice, is to deal with it, unless you have twenty or more over the car, it totally bothers you and it's a show car.

Also, how many miles are on the car? Do you have the sail panel bubbles? Do you have any signs of clear coat failure on any part of the car? I only ask, is b/c if you want to go for a full repaint, might as well as get everything fixed at once.

These are some of the questions I've been going through, I have some big chips in the hood, a small bit of the sail panel bubbling and some bird etchings that went down to the fiberglass. I figure it's best to get all of these done at once.

Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
It depends on how it's touched up.

If it's just one of those cheap kits, it probably will look like crap, metallic paint (in my experience) is very difficult to match for chips and scratches.

To get it professionally done, it would have to be resprayed and blended in correctly, it will look great.

But is that worth it?

My advice, is to deal with it, unless you have twenty or more over the car, it totally bothers you and it's a show car.

Also, how many miles are on the car? Do you have the sail panel bubbles? Do you have any signs of clear coat failure on any part of the car? I only ask, is b/c if you want to go for a full repaint, might as well as get everything fixed at once.

These are some of the questions I've been going through, I have some big chips in the hood, a small bit of the sail panel bubbling and some bird etchings that went down to the fiberglass. I figure it's best to get all of these done at once.

Good Luck!
77k miles. No sail panel bubbles. No signs of clear coat failure.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
77k miles. No sail panel bubbles. No signs of clear coat failure.

Thanks for your input.
Well since it sounds like the rest of your car is in good shape, I say just get the bumper repainted. A good shop should be able to match it perfectly.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would say take it to a body shop and have them touch it up, they have the experience and know how to make it look really good.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Good shops can airbrush a touch in. They can color chip your existing paint to match perfectly, and blend a small area, rather than the whole bumper.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys.