Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Dupli-color paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dupli-color paint shop

Any home sprayers out there ever use the dupli-color paint shop in those ready to spray cans, im considering useing that to spray my hood anythoughts....for the price cant be beat but can always get the oem paint from automotive touch up.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT DO IT i have a ram air hood i got that was banged up so i figured what the hell total waste of money works good on small parts like interior but the clear isnt as glossy
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok well i just ordered some pain primer n clear from automotive touch up n im just gunna do it myself ill do 3-4 coats of primer n then 3-4 coats of base n then 3-4 of clear
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am by no means a painter, this is the first time I have sprayed anything other than spray cans. I did the hood for our 2001 freightliner and I started off by using the dupli color paint shop jet black paint and it was very easy to use following the directions. I used there primer, paint, and clear for the job. Everything went very well the hood came out great, the when I finally rolled the hood out into the sun I realized that it was no where near "jet black" more like grey black. I wetsanded the whole hood back down, went to a real autobody supply store bought real paint/reducer/hardner and re-sprayed it and it looks awesome!! it is not a show piece but for just hauling our 26' tag along racecar trailer to the dirt track it looks fine. I spent $120 on the duplicolor stuff and around $150 for the good stuff. I also noticed that the good paint seemed to lay down better on the hood than the dupli color. I attached a few pics of the paint... Hope this helps!!
Attached Thumbnails Dupli-color paint shop-img_20100903_074209.jpg   Dupli-color paint shop-img_20100829_143447.jpg   Dupli-color paint shop-img_20100909_1756019.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow ya soo im not gunna use the dupli-color black i bought the gm paint code base and primer and clear thats just ready to spray just to make it easier for me to spray n if it comes out shitty then hey ill dish out the money to do it right but i wanna spray it n learn from my mistakes good to know your outcome and results thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Wow ya soo im not gunna use the dupli-color black i bought the gm paint code base and primer and clear thats just ready to spray just to make it easier for me to spray n if it comes out shitty then hey ill dish out the money to do it right but i wanna spray it n learn from my mistakes good to know your outcome and results thanks
It doesn't shine like it should the clear is more like a matte and even if you have

someone cut and wet sand it ..it still doesn't look right

and I agree with the above the jet black is more like the ebony interiors on our cars a very dark grey

It smells like lacquer when you spray it .. I think its acrylic lacquer.. you would be happier with other paints out there!

Quick Reply: Dupli-color paint shop