Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

getting closer to repaint time

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default getting closer to repaint time

ok, so i have needed to repaint my car for a while now & I'm still bouncing around on paints. Me & a buddy will be painting my car, so its not gonna be a showroom quality job but at this point anything is better than sheets of clear peeling off & rock chips everywhere.

I'm tryin to find a decent balance of a paint thats not real pricey but thats also not a crap product, which i realize is a feat in itself. In my searching I stumbled across this site, their kit looks decent & the price is in the ball park of what I was looking to spend. I'm not sure if that clear provided in the kit would be enough for 3-4 nice coats for a deep shine, but extra clear could be added to it.

Experienced painters or those educated in paint quality & brands please chime in. Is this a crap kit or decent for a DIY paint job for a daily driven 160k mile car. I drive it year round, so I'm not lookin for garage queen quality.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.paintforcars.com/

I was looking into the Urethane Basecoat/Clear coat kits.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of that type of paint before. That's really cheap for all the paint, I can tell you that much!!!! My suggestion is if you are doing the labor yourself then save just a little more money and go with a name brand paint and clear! Trust me, you will be happy that you did! I use R-M Diamont base clear which is made by BASF. You would probably spend around $400 - $500 roughly on paint and clear depending on the color. READ THIS CAREFULLY.....The old saying that more clear gives a better shine and deeper look to it is CRAP!!!!! Today's automotive clears are designed as 2 coat clears. If you start hammering coats of clear in excess on your car then get ready because it will start to solvent pop and crack over time!!!!!! Too much clear is not good. You can however put 3 coats of clear on if you plan on cutting and buffing the car slick after it's cured!!!!! These show quality cars don't have 4-6 layers of clear on them i promise! To get it that slick they water sand the clear back down with 800 grit or close to it and then reclear it. If you put 3 coats on and watersand it slick then buff it out then you will be happy with it I promise!!!!! Good luck and don't waste your time on cheap materials!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

I'm doin alot of searching around about this supplier. So far they are getting better reviews than Dupli-color, LOL. It didnt look bad to me seeing as its a Acrylic Urethane instead of a Enamel or Lacquer. The reviews on other sites I have found say it lays down really nice & the after pics look good, but I do realize pics & real life are different.

I'm tryin to keep cost down as much as possible. Again, not lookin for show quality, its daily driven 300 miles a week at least & I dont have a garage so it'll sit outside year round. If it turns out better than a $400 Macco job I'll be happy.

Thankx on the clear coat tip. The car will be wet sanded & buffed out after paint. If I'm gonna throw clear on it I'd like it to not have orange peel everywhere at least.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

I understand the idea behind wanting to save money on the paint but considering the time and effort that it takes to get a car prepped for paint i would hate to use a product that wasn't gonna last for years and years to come. Me personally, and not just because i am a painter, I would go with a name brand for a few hundred dollars more and have the piece of mind that I had some durable paint and clear on my car. I say this because cheap clear is cheap for a reason. It won't last long especially as a daily driver and it will not endure the elements of the sun and rain and bugs for very long. I would give it 2 years at the most and you will probably be repainting it again if even that long. Good luck and post some pics when your done!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

See a few years sounds great to me at this point & time. I just wont have a few hundred here & there extra to put into this. Hopefully withint the time it would need to be repainted again business will pick back up & I can drop $2500 or so to have a shop do a good quality job on it. Right now I'm just tired of it lookin like a POS but running like a top.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

lol i know what you mean!!!!

Quick Reply: getting closer to repaint time