Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Removing bugs from front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing bugs from front bumper

Well now that I live out here in the country the front of my T/A gets beat up. I just washed it today but theres bugs and frog guts stuck to the front that I basically have to scrub off. I remember years ago my dad use to use bug n tar remover but I dont know if thats still around and if it damages the paint. I want to clean it up as I bought the Black wax kit that makes me strip the paint of all wax and then rewax it, but want to get these bugs of before hand. Any tips?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

baking soda - sprinkle some on a wet microfiber towel. Bugs wipe right off.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Teching In

If you wash your car at the car wash, spray the area with the "tire cleaner" setting. Let is sit for a couple of minutes while you soak your tires and then they will just spray right off when you spray the soap on.

The tire cleaner is just a degreaser. It has never hurt my paint on my Vette or my truck. I've been doing this for years!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That doesn't mean it's safe for your paints finish.

To the OP... head to autozone and go to the car cleaning supplies. They will have a box there called "clay magic, clay bar" It has everything you need. REad the directions and follow them being sure to be generous with the lubricant.

You can go that route or the bug and tar remover. Either way works fine but do not use tire degreaser on your car.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
That doesn't mean it's safe for your paints finish.
If you're referring to my post, I picked up this tip from a very experienced body shop.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of there are a few things that scare me, that this may not be the first time this happend. How long have some of the bugs been on the paint. Reason why as the long they remain on the paint, the better chance that they will etch into the paint and need either buffing or possible repaint.

The former owner of my car made it so bad that when the hood got done, so was the bumper.

As for getting off new bugs, a good quality Bug and Tar remover works well. A sponge designed for scrubing but uses the solution as lubrication is fine. Just make sure the area is washed first so your not grinding in dirt.

Meguiar's has consumer bug and tar but they have some professional products as well that I could recommend, if you were able to get your hands on some. Some online retailers like Autogeek or ADS carries that stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Curious about the Baking Soda? I never heard of that..
Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastride500
Curious about the Baking Soda? I never heard of that..
No scrubbing required - AT ALL. It neutralizes the acid in the bug guts and no matter how long they have been here, they wipe right off. Everyone says to use bug/tar remover and a scrubbing sponge, which should scare anyone concerned about scratches/swirls in their paint.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you wanna do it and how much do you care for the cars paint? If it's a daily driver and the front end is already killed with stone chips, than who cares. You can use some elbow grease and a good cleaner.

If you do care, I would get a clay bar that isn't very abrasive such as SONUS GREEN CLAY that I use.

Quick Reply: Removing bugs from front bumper