Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear coat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clear coat question

I just picked up my 2000 TA a week ago. On the noise, there is a dime size spot on the noise where it looks like the clear is coming off. Is there a way to fix this or should i get it sprayed?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Teching In

That is a loaded question. There are so many variables that can effect the right way to repair it. It can be fixed to look 90% new by a good painter by "spotting it in". How it turns out depends where the spot is and the color under it, and the painters skills. If the clear is coming off because of adheasion problems it may just be the tip of an iceberg. You can have an experienced painter look at it and he should be able to tell you if it can be spotted in or if it is going to be a peeler.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Gotta agree with sdun! If it is peeling in one spot then the rest of it is more than likely going to do the same thing in the near future. Here's a good way to tell......PRESSURE WASHER!! But don't get too close because it can eat into the bumper. I would however let an experienced painter take a look at it before you do anything!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

The correct way will be to sand/prep/re-clear te entire panel.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Can't just sand, prep, and reclear it because if it's peeling then it's gotta be sanded down into the base (color) which will require you to repaint it with base and clear and thats after the peeling has been repaired. I'm not sure if you meant that he could just reclear it, but I get asked that question all the time by customers whose vehicles are peeling or fading (ya know the chalked up look) and I tell them every time that you can't just simply reclear it and solve the problem
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep i had two huge spots pop up on my hood and a bunch of spots on the rear bumper. took me a few hours but i was able to get it just right. prep, wetsand, and a few cans of automotive clear.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
yep i had two huge spots pop up on my hood and a bunch of spots on the rear bumper. took me a few hours but i was able to get it just right. prep, wetsand, and a few cans of automotive clear.
please tell us you didnt rattle can the clear on
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002nbmss
Can't just sand, prep, and reclear it because if it's peeling then it's gotta be sanded down into the base (color) which will require you to repaint it with base and clear and thats after the peeling has been repaired. I'm not sure if you meant that he could just reclear it, but I get asked that question all the time by customers whose vehicles are peeling or fading (ya know the chalked up look) and I tell them every time that you can't just simply reclear it and solve the problem
yeah, I should have said the half assed correct way in my post.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Teching In

You can't feather back a clear edge without getting into the base.

Quick Reply: Clear coat question