Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to disconnect main engine harness at firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to disconnect main engine harness at firewall?

Not sure if this is the right section to be posting this in, but figured if anyone had done it, it might have been someone that took the car down to the entire metal and worked the car over.

I am trying to disconnect the wire harness underneath the brake booster box and am not having much luck. It is the box connector and has two of those plastic locks on the side on the engine side but moving those doesn't release the connector. It looks like it might be two pieces glued together, top black and bottom gray.

Anyone have any ideas? Did a search under multiple types or terms and came up with nothing.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Not sure if this is the right section to be posting this in, but figured if anyone had done it, it might have been someone that took the car down to the entire metal and worked the car over.

I am trying to disconnect the wire harness underneath the brake booster box and am not having much luck. It is the box connector and has two of those plastic locks on the side on the engine side but moving those doesn't release the connector. It looks like it might be two pieces glued together, top black and bottom gray.

Anyone have any ideas? Did a search under multiple types or terms and came up with nothing.
Well there is 2 connectors that unhook so you can drop the motor with the k member and wiring harness attached. Is that what your talking about?
The following users liked this post:
95Marrow (12-01-2020)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Big connection that runs through the firewall on the driverside of the car. Complete opposite side of those two to drop the engine.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one?? I'm presuming you've taken the tape or cover off it... Looks like all the body control stuff. Should just be a connector, but looks like a small bolt head at the top.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

it doesn't unattach at the point where it goes through the firewall. that black connector that you see is got all the wires inside of it glued together with something like hot glue. you have to remove the bolt, squeeze the plastic from the inside of the car on the sides of where it meets the firewall, and push that part out. then to disconnect it from the dash harness, there are several connectors in line with the dash harness that must be removed. I cant imagine doing this with the dash, cowl, or brake booster still installed. it was hard enough even with those taken out.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car is nearly completely stripped out with the exception of the wires, so I have as much room as possible short of cutting. Was looking at the side on the inside of the car and it looks like it connects up to a big fuse box and short of pulling all of those wires out I don't see any other way to get the harness out short of cutting something. Will maybe look at it a bit more and see if there is something I am missing (more than likely is) and if I can't get it out will just wrap it with tape and throw the excess cables in a bag when it goes for paint.

TY for the help all.

Quick Reply: How to disconnect main engine harness at firewall?