Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best Fitting LT1 SS Hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Fitting LT1 SS Hood

I'm going to be in the market for an SS hood in the spring and want to do my research before I buy anything. I was looking into sunoco hoods but I don't like the 3" raised SS hood. I've looked at glassteck and ASCD (had a cowl on my car that fit good) but what are some other good options?

I know I want an LT1 SS style hood, not an LS1 style scoop on and LT1 hood (I have considered that but like the factory style better)

Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest with you they all fit like **** your gonna spend quite a bit in body work to get all the gaps right... your best bet is to Buy a original SLP LT1 SS hood They are really hard to find but if your interested I have one for sale its of a 96 SS PM me for more details and pictures...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97camaross
To be honest with you they all fit like **** your gonna spend quite a bit in body work to get all the gaps right... your best bet is to Buy a original SLP LT1 SS hood They are really hard to find but if your interested I have one for sale its of a 96 SS PM me for more details and pictures...
Well like I said I had an ASCD 2" cowl, but hate cowls on these cars. But the hood fit very well. My buddy will be painting the whole car in a year or so and will be doing alot of body work so a little on the hood isn't a big deal.

And I can't afford to do anything right now. I still have to get fuel lines and some rear end components, watts link....you know how it is LOL

But I agree that an SLP hood would be my best choice, but probably the hardest one to find, unless you still have one
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya I have one for sale its sitting in my spare bed room...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trufiber hoods fit very well, they make an LT1 SS hood
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Trufiber hoods fit very well, they make an LT1 SS hood
Are those the ebay hoods?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a pic of my true fiber hood http://img404.imageshack.us/i/p1010893q.jpg/ not a SS but if that fits good I am sure the SS hood should fit really nice. I picked it up for $200 from a guy in Pomona who works at trufiber.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard that the trufiber hoods fit like ****. And yours ^^ looks like it sticks up a little bit where it meets the bumper? Or is it just the pic? I'm not trying to bash your car or anything but I thought the owner of the red car that trufiber has pics of said that it took alot of body work to make it look good.

But for $200 I wouldn't complain
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it fits really nice, but that was when it just came back from paint; if you notice the window wipers and plastic that goes on the windshield is not installed in that picture. I have removed the hood to install the wipers adjusting everything to where it should be now; the hood was just thrown on after paint not adjusted because I knew it would need to come off again to install the wipers.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by henry172
No it fits really nice, but that was when it just came back from paint; if you notice the window wipers and plastic that goes on the windshield is not installed in that picture. I have removed the hood to install the wipers adjusting everything to where it should be now; the hood was just thrown on after paint not adjusted because I knew it would need to come off again to install the wipers.
Nice, and I didn't notice that in the pics. I'll keep trufiber in mind when the time comes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only thing a couple areas needed to be worked with body filler and fiberglass to smooth everything out; but not much. I think any aftermarket hood you buy will need some work. I had to paint the hood so I could see all of the little flaws then worked them out, painted it again, then did the final prep and sent it to paint. It was not that bad, but it did need a little work; It took me a whole day to finish it. If you can pick up a truefiber hood at a good price I would not hesitate to buy it.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

My buddy has a body shop and can hook me up with some awesome prices but I want to be nice and not get a hood thats going to take a ton of prep work

I'll keep my eyes open, but like I mentioned it probably won't be until spring, but I like to research products before I jump in and buy something, learned my lesson there

Quick Reply: Best Fitting LT1 SS Hood