Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door pin

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door pin

My drivers side door is sagging like a cougar, I've seen some door pins on eBay and a few say 82-2002 and some 93-2002. Are all these pins the same? Does anyone have a part number? Maybe it's easier to get at napa or something instead of eBay?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to lube it. I use a gun cleaner/lubricant/preserver called "Break-Free CLP." It cleans rust and other buildups as you use it, it's a lube and has teflon in it to prevent rusting and keep it lubed when dry. I apply 3 drops twice a year when the door starts to squeek again. And it doesn't leave a dirty ugly mess like grease does.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The door is actually sagging, not squeaking. I think the pins need replaced.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh. If it's sagging then yeah. I was thinking there was a typo or smart-phone correction when you typed "sagging like a cougar." I thought you meant "sounding like a cougar!" LOL There's always the scrap yard for finding parts like that. It's where I'd go first. I'd be quite comfortable saying the 93-02 would be identical, but I don't know about if the earlier years would be.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not just the pins that need replacing its also the bushings in the hinge
remove the trim panle
remove the wiring harness
remove the door
correct me if iam wrong but if the lower hinge has a spring, then you need a special tool to remove that spring
get a hammer and tap out the pins
then use a punch to remove the bushings

i then reinstall bushings, use a small bit of grease on the new pins, hammer the pins into hinge

reinstall door, remove the striker to get gaps at the fender and quater, with the striker in its a big pain in the *** to get gaps back

its not hard to do but its time consuming, and at 4-6 hours a side at 48 per hour for labor its costly to have done
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think we may be thinking about different things. Should be able to replace the pin and bushings much easier than that.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a kit that replaces the cheap azz GM detent roller with a real ball bearing PM me if interested.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sempire
I think we may be thinking about different things. Should be able to replace the pin and bushings much easier than that.
ummm i dont think so, that is how you do pins and bushings, removing the door to get at the pins and bushings, you obviously are not a tech to come and type that response, so please let the REAL tech help out here
thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

3rd gens have this problem big time.......they have a kit to fix it........dont know if it fits 4th gens
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Shouldn't have to replace the spring, just the upper pin and bushing. Autozone probably has a kit in the help section. It probably is compatable with 3rd gens too, and probably a lot more GM vehicles. It's not too bad to do. Take a floor jack and a piece of wood put a little pressure on the back of the door So that the pressure is not binding the pin. The rest is self explanatory. Punch and lube!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdyman
ummm i dont think so, that is how you do pins and bushings, removing the door to get at the pins and bushings, you obviously are not a tech to come and type that response, so please let the REAL tech help out here
thanks
This is a 4th gen. Most people have said you just need to support the door, knock out the pin and replace the pin and bushing.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bdyman
thanks
If you do one hinge at a time, the door doesn't have to come off. I did em all the time with a floor jack at the dealership. You do need the door spring compressor though. No reason to pull the whole door off. The whole job should take less than an hour for the whole car. This comes from a REAL tech that knows how to make money when paid flat rate.....take that for what it's worth. Also, maybe don't be such a douche in the future.
The following users liked this post:
1995_maro_z (04-27-2020)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that door spring is deadly... be careful
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VinR1
that door spring is deadly... be careful
Like put my eye out deadly? I ordered the door spring tool, hopefully that will help.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sempire
Like put my eye out deadly? I ordered the door spring tool, hopefully that will help.
yes

I got the bright idea to put one in a vise, compress it fully, and wrap wire around opposite sides to keep it compressed. It held so I sat it on my spoiler while I got the door ready. The wires simultaneously broke and the spring shot up, went ceiling, floor, ceiling, floor and luckily, hit the underside of my work bench while I curled up in the fetal position next to my car. thank God it didnt hit anything expensive

I really think some bored GM engineer saw a box of old valvesprings and decided to use those to keep our doors in place
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VinR1
yes

I got the bright idea to put one in a vise, compress it fully, and wrap wire around opposite sides to keep it compressed. It held so I sat it on my spoiler while I got the door ready. The wires simultaneously broke and the spring shot up, went ceiling, floor, ceiling, floor and luckily, hit the underside of my work bench while I curled up in the fetal position next to my car. thank God it didnt hit anything expensive

I really think some bored GM engineer saw a box of old valvesprings and decided to use those to keep our doors in place
Yeah man, that door spring can end lives with a quickness....
Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey,you guys sound like you know a lot about this.I have a '99 T/A Vert and the passanger door seems to lean out away from the top of the car and in a little at the bottom-this results in the top not sealing as well as it used to.Can you walk me through adjusting this?Would the fender need removal?Can it be done by adjusting bolts on door or frame?Any help will be appreciated--pics appreciated even more!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=VinR1;14321291]yes

I got the bright idea to put one in a vise, compress it fully, and wrap wire around opposite sides to keep it compressed. It held so I sat it on my spoiler while I got the door ready. The wires simultaneously broke and the spring shot up, went ceiling, floor, ceiling, floor and luckily, hit the underside of my work bench while I curled up in the fetal position next to my car.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Just a heads up, my door was sagging also but it was because the fiberglass at the lower hinge on the door side was being pushed in. I had to add some washers to bring it back up to level.

Quick Reply: Door pin