Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Favor to ask: C5 fiberglass mold of Taillight bucket/cup

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah still I'm active, I'm on I&I in Michigan right now. Spent my first 6 years at camp pendleton.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Gotcha. Well thank you for your time and service. Maybe one day soon I'll see you one the other side. I'm trying to have my RE code changed and if that falls through I'm either going Army or Marines.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I didn't get my Good Cookie Medal. They were forcing me to Corporals Course in Pendleton in the middle of my divorce. I had to clear base housing and clean it (alone) and get into my apartment. They wouldn't hear my appeal to not go so when I was late, they dropped me and I got an NJP on THE DAY I rated the Good Conduct Medal. I got out because the Career Planner was trying to force me to Counter Intel when I was trying to go to MCT. He left my package on his desk. When I hadn't gotten any news in a week and a half and a friend had, I went to see him and he said he was waiting to see if I was gonna change my mind about CI. Then I cursed out a Staff Sergeant for the first time in my life and told him to submit my MCT package. It was denied because it was full. He calls me in and has this CI package complete and just wants me to sign it. So I cursed out the Staff Sergeant for the second time. And two weeks later a 2x combat experienced Sergeant left the Marines on 15 days terminal leave! Honorable Discharge here guys. RE-1A Semper Fi Brothers!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang bro, sounds like that carrier planer sucked. I re-enlisted in DEC 2007 when all the big bonuses where around. My carrer planner was cool so i guess i was lucky.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking back on it, I shoulda went for the CI job. I woulda got $55,000. Not when I' trying to get back in and go CI, I can't because of the down sizing. I'm working on my reserves package for now. Might try to get active later on if I need to. And if my marriage doesn't get any better, the Corps will be the last thing I ever marry! lol
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squee
Plan on molding them into a tail light filler panel are ya? You must have seen that red Camaro with it done I'm guessing?......
A 4th Gen Camaro?? Links...pics...??
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dubga
A 4th Gen Camaro?? Links...pics...??
I never saw a red one, but a silver one. I don't care for this because of hoe flush the lenses are. Good initiative, bad judgement.
Attached Thumbnails Favor to ask: C5 fiberglass mold of Taillight bucket/cup-camaro-c5-taillight.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I never saw a red one, but a silver one. I don't care for this because of hoe flush the lenses are. Good initiative, bad judgement.
If I remember right, that guy either sold it to somebody else or somebody replicated it, cause I remember seeing it on a red car, I think it was a 35th LE.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ROFL thats my old targa top car from back in 2001! I lost every pic I had of that thing.. evidently they're still out there

I rocked that for about a week, then put the OEM lights back in it. The problem with sinking them deeper into the sail panel is that even flush like that, you need to sledgehammer the hell out of the sheetmetal behind the lights. Dropping them in another inch would require cutting and welding, which wasnt condusive to mass producing the panel.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whistler
ROFL thats my old targa top car from back in 2001! I lost every pic I had of that thing.. evidently they're still out there
I thought that was your car...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems there's less clearance for the Camaro than for the Birds. I plan to cut access holes for the bulb sockets at the minimum. To include moving the wiring inside the rear bulkhead. If needed, I'll cut the bulkhead for the taillight cups to stick through into the car. I get what you were doing Whistler by making the LEAST amount of modification to the car itself. And like I said, GREAT idea, but not the best finished result. I hope I didn't offend you with that post, it sure wasn't my intention.

Whistler, how'd you make the cups for the lights to sit into?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh hell, I might as well ask for EITHER C6 or C5 taillight cups. Ebay has plenty of both taillights factory and aftermarket. SO I might as well broaden what I'm asking for.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense.. I didnt like it either, thats why I took it off after a week

That particular car was already modded to hell having a one off carbon fiber targa roof and hood, custom fabbed floorboards to fit true duals with an h-pipe, a built motor with spray..etc.

However I made that panel not for myself but because a crapload of people were requesting it at the time, hence the need for it to be as bolt -on as possible. Keep in mind that was ten years ago and all the cars were still under warranty so trying to get someone to beat in an area with a hammer was a big deal let alone cut something. The outer passenger side in particular would need a lot of clearancing if you were to try and sink the lights in. Remember the lights themselves are about 3.5-4" deep before the bulb socket.

If you look at the back of a C5 light youll see a flat area that kind of forms a ring around the back of it. I traced that out on cardboard, then transferred it to fiberglass. Then mounted the fiberglass into my panel and glassed it all in.

C6 lights are too small in diameter IMO

It seems there's less clearance for the Camaro than for the Birds. I plan to cut access holes for the bulb sockets at the minimum. To include moving the wiring inside the rear bulkhead. If needed, I'll cut the bulkhead for the taillight cups to stick through into the car. I get what you were doing Whistler by making the LEAST amount of modification to the car itself. And like I said, GREAT idea, but not the best finished result. I hope I didn't offend you with that post, it sure wasn't my intention.

Whistler, how'd you make the cups for the lights to sit into?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never gotten anyone to let me take their taillights out so I've never seen what's behind them.

Quick Reply: Favor to ask: C5 fiberglass mold of Taillight bucket/cup