Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fender/Door gap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender/Door gap

Question guys. My T/A's driver side door is ever so slightly scraping the fender. I've done some research and found it could be because of being improperly jacked(not me mind you.) Got under it, and sure enough the person before me must've jacked it up wrong. The big question is if I use some vise grips and bend it back into place, will it stop the fender and door from hitting?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Thats what I do...but mine never scrapes...it just pops out a little..and I just pull it back...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your door is out of line.. iirc there is a bolt in there you can adjust..

The fender popping out is a problem with the camaro, not trans am.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
The fender popping out is a problem with the camaro, not trans am.
That is incorrect.
It can happen to both cars if not jacked properly. If the person puts the jack under the front fender tab, which has 'do not jack' printed right on it, ..., it will bend the fander tabs up & push out the lower section of the front fenders.

Be sure to remove the bolts if possible first, or as soon as you bend it a little bit. Let the plastic fender portion 'relax' as much as possible, bend the metal frame mount back into the straight down position, then re-attach the bolts.
If you bend them together, you will risk breaking the plastic portion of the fender tab,
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
That is incorrect.
It can happen to both cars if not jacked properly. If the person puts the jack under the front fender tab, which has 'do not jack' printed right on it, ..., it will bend the fander tabs up & push out the lower section of the front fenders.

Be sure to remove the bolts if possible first, or as soon as you bend it a little bit. Let the plastic fender portion 'relax' as much as possible, bend the metal frame mount back into the straight down position, then re-attach the bolts.
If you bend them together, you will risk breaking the plastic portion of the fender tab,
Great! Thanks guys. If I do said above, it should realign the fender so it doesn't hit the door anymore, right?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have to tell pep boys every time i go there not to mess up the fender rail with their lift.........jack it by hand........its a easy fix but a PITA to do it every time
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant count the number of 4th gens Ive repaired with smashed or broken lower fenders due to idgits and improper jacking.I made many sheet metal braces to bond with the cracked,bent plastic.A heat gun or hair dryer might be needed to help it back in shape.And yes you can then move it forward a bit if its hitting at the bottom.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so where would the correct lifting places be on a T/A I would not want to mess mine up since I just got it
Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

front? under k member, cradles engine. rear? under the pumpkin on the rear diff, somewhat two faced flat part forward of pumpkin underneath... sides? eh, front frame, rear Lca area, better yet get SFC's, or under the side rails below doors... anyone to correct?

Quick Reply: Fender/Door gap