Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any idea on how much it would be to repair this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Any idea on how much it would be to repair this?

I am looking to buy this car and was wondering if any of you guys could, from your experiences in the past, tell me about how much you think it would be to repair this damage? Or how you would go about repairing the damage, whether it be DIY or through a professional.

The first two pictures are of the hood and the second picture is of the pillar between the driver side passenger glass and the rear glass. The fifth picture is of the pillar.

Hopefully my Spec's keychain can give you a decent reference for size!

What I am worried about is what to do about the rust that has already formed on the damage on the hood. I know that I need to get the rust out of there before any paint goes on, or it is pretty much all for not.

And before you ask, I would definitely replace the gold items with silver/chrome ones. The bar above the grill is 100 bucks from the dealer! Time to find a wrecked one in a junk yard...

Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not very much but im not a body guy, only done a little bit on my T/A
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Sand area with 6-800 grit. get touch up paint that matches the car. fill spot. built up the paint slightly higher than body. wet sand with 800 grit til almost smooth, then 2000grit. buff with a good swirl/haze remover (i suggest ADAMS polishes swirl haze remover). should look way better than before. may not be as good as paint shop but will cost a fraction of the price. especially for something that small. If you took it to a paint shop they will have to repaint/ blend almost the entire panel which will be sever hundred dollars. It all depends on your budget and what the car is worth to you. lol
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

go to autozone
pick up spot treater with your paint code
paint over it
let dry
worry about more important things
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I read the thread title I thought it was gonna be an F-body with the front end smashed up or something, and I open it up to see a Hyundai with some rock chips. If the chips are pretty small then take a razor blade or hobby knife and gently scrape the rust out of the holes and then fill them with touch up paint. If your not comfortable with it call a couple local detailers and get some estimates. Also that gold plating is usually over top of the original chrome and can often be removed without too much trouble.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wysemunky
When I read the thread title I thought it was gonna be an F-body with the front end smashed up or something, and I open it up to see a Hyundai with some rock chips. If the chips are pretty small then take a razor blade or hobby knife and gently scrape the rust out of the holes and then fill them with touch up paint. If your not comfortable with it call a couple local detailers and get some estimates. Also that gold plating is usually over top of the original chrome and can often be removed without too much trouble.
thats what i was thinking...