Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

99 ta is totaled! (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool I have to go to new orleans sat or sun to get the car looked at but other than that I don't have any plans.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that car is not totaled by any means, what is driving the price up is the 90 dollars a hour labor the shop is charging. Also alot of shops dont like working on our cars.

put it this way I got hit in the driver fender and all it did was crack the fender and thats all that had to be replaced. The bill was 1800 dollars by the time it was all said and done cause they had to do a little bit of paint work to the front bumper also and blending it all in.

there body aligning was **** too I could of done a better job. These cares are more labor intensive and body shops dont make there money but working on one car all week. they make it buy moving out multiple cars and ours are harder than most. plus sourcing parts is harder these days as well.

I say fix it yourself and then get it painted once you get all the parts. all you need is a trans am front bumper and a firebird fender you might even get lucky and find omeone parting out a white one that there good on
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

get ur own parts to keep the cost down
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dave70
Cool I have to go to new orleans sat or sun to get the car looked at but other than that I don't have any plans.
Kool. Just let me know when you decide to go and we can set something up
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Here in Missouri if a car totals and is paid off by insurance company and the owner keeps it it does not become a salvage title as long as the car is over 7 yrs old. Even if it does total it no big deal hell my car is a salvage title and here that gets me a 1/3 of my personal property tax.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has a salvage title, i bought my car totaled.... so salvage title doesn't bother me.......
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only problem with salvage title is I had one car stolen and if it had a salvage title then I never would have got enough from the ins. Co. To replace it.

99peweterls1 sounds good.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

i hear arkansas you can pass a salvage title 3 times and it comes unsalvaged.i bought mine totalled and drove to memphis and almost to dallas collecting parts and save a TON of money. however my paint guy sucked....but you find the right people you can make it nice again for a fraction of what you might think. please dont let it go.....they will knock it in the head for parts,and our cars are getting more and more scarce by the minute....don't let a salvage title scare you off.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Most insurance companies will pay out the same on a clean title as they will a prior salvage because either way it's gonna be salvage so what's it matter if it was to start with. But I would check with the company to see if you take the check and keep the car if it will stay clean since its over 7 yrs old.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

The frame shop could tell if the car was more tweaked than it appears to be. And keep in mind, the ins companies will total a car if the damage is within 60% of the total value or something. The salvage title is fine to register but selling it would be a pain. Unless you sell it to an enthusiast or someone looking to make a track car out of it or something.

I'd almost, buy it back, strip & Sell stuff and make it a track car with a salvage title. That's what I'd do with mine.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys . I will def. buy it back if it is totaled the heads cam stall etc. is worth it. But i'm just trying to avoid that. the frame wasn't that bad they pulled a measurment from the frame to the rack on both sides.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just went through this with my 99z. my best friend is a body guy and says a lot of times there is more damage done than can be seen from just looking at it, so if its close they will usually want to total it out. mine was $800 from being totaled and after talking to him about it, i went ahead and let them total it. i also bought mine back because of the shape its in and all the parts that are on it.

body work is expensive to get done right. if your were just replacing the front bumper cover and fender ( which its never that easy) you still have to account for painting and then it depends on how much they would have to blend. it gets costly quick. as for selling a salvage title, you wont get what you think its worth for sure.

another note about insurance companies, most wont do full coverage on a salvage title vehicle. anyhow i bought mine back for $1200, found a nice ta roller for $2500 off a guy on here, and i am going to swap the drivetrain and parts into it. my buddy is going to buy my camaro for a track car. just another route you could go too.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot back out now with the insurance company, they already know youve had a wreck so you have to go through with it cause they are probably going to jack your premium up and it will go on your insurance claim record anyway. Salvage titles are no big deal if you document the damage and repair with lots of pics. Most people assume a salvage title means it was hit by a train or something. Just take pics of it before and after and it will surely help you if you sell it later. Dont let it die man. At least buy it back and give someone else a chance to do to it what TransWS6Am did to his. You should have seen his car before, holy ****!!

Quick Reply: 99 ta is totaled! (pics added)