Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Keep it or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep it or sell?

Well I bought my ta last september, the day after I sold my camaro, because I don't like being f-body less. It needed to be painted, the owner had tried to repair the rear qtr panel because he had backed into a telephone pole and dented it along with cracking the door which he had replaced. The front bumper is also spider cracked from it being backed into in a parking lot. Well I bought it anyway as it was perfect, other than needing paint and it was to cheap to pass on. It was completely stock and the interior was almost perfect. It also had a brand new ac rebuild kit, headlight motors and rebuild kit and lots of other new stuff. For what I paid for it, I could have only bought the motor and the wheels that it had, and he had receipts for everything including the brand new set of c6 zo6's and tires that were on it, plus I figured I would get it painted when I got my taxes. So I bought it, drove it home which was 4hrs away and commence the modding over the next few months. Then my tranny blew up and I had to use my taxes to pay for that and I did it right with a built one and a stall. Now I am at the point where I have spent more in mods than I paid for the car, it still looks like crap and it still gets taken as a joke even though it can kick 90% of the people who give me **** about its ***. Its fast and I car, but I kind of want to start over again with a cleaner f-body. After all I am tired of parking it in the dark corner at meets. So should I keep it and paint it, or just sell it and start over?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

No thoughts?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

dude u should just sell ur p.o.s. trans am (which is slow anyways) and buy a nice third gen there sooo fast i know of one u can buy thats pretty fast and a amazing car u should should just buy a camaro in general
Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares who gives you ****? Sounds like you care too much about what other people think. I get **** from some of my buddies cause they all like rice but when it comes to the street they never want to race, i just smile and laugh cause for one im happy with and love my car and two i have nothing to prove, they do. As long as i like my car i dont care who else does.

Do you like your car? Next question why or why not? Based on those answeres decide if you want to sell it or keep it. Sounds like you arent for whatever reason so to me sounds like best thing to do would be try and sell it. Always sucks when you do put money into stuff like that though and sell it with no gain..
Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85IROCZmaro
dude u should just sell ur p.o.s. trans am (which is slow anyways) and buy a nice third gen there sooo fast i know of one u can buy thats pretty fast and a amazing car u should should just buy a camaro in general
Don't make me kick your *** again, you must have forgot your place on the totem pole
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Honestly? I'd just get it painted and be happy with it. You wouldn't get full price for it when selling it because of the damage, so you may as well just get the work done. Then it'll look as good as it runs.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its not that I don't like my car, I love it, i am just realistically looking arty the price of all the paint and bodywork and trying to decide if it is worth it. I am thinking about trying to paint it satin black and doing the work myself, but I have never done my own body work myself. I kind of feel like I this is the one project I want to try to finish.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well in the end most people put in more money than what the car is worth (on lower budget cars) since you're at that point i would just paint it.. who cares if people take it as a joke, its a motivation to get it painted/fixed right?. When i bought my camaro last october it came with airbrushed gills on it! it literally looks like a freakin catfish! Other than that the car is just beautiful, alot of people take it as a joke and alot of people on here laughed at it too but hey I dont care.. Im still driving it around. I havent had the money to get it repainted because i have spent all my money on maintenance stuff and things of that nature on my car. But once it gets painted Haters gona Hate LOL Anyways in the end its all up to you man, But dont let others bring your thoughts down about the car itself, Use their **** talking as a motivation or just dont listen to people at all if it bothers you that much. Good luck what ever you do...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

hahahahah thanks greg its ok my car still has a misfire and now my third gear is non existent.......awesome
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by manfred717
Its not that I don't like my car, I love it, i am just realistically looking arty the price of all the paint and bodywork and trying to decide if it is worth it. I am thinking about trying to paint it satin black and doing the work myself, but I have never done my own body work myself. I kind of feel like I this is the one project I want to try to finish.
I feel ya man. My cousin did exactly what you are thinking about doing. He got his Trans Am off a guy who had turned it into a drag car and grazed the passenger side on a wall at the track. The door was replaced but the rear quarter was pretty dented up. He and a friend who was a body man pulled and massaged the panel back into shape and then repainted it flat black.

His quarter after being repaired;

Here is one after it was done (I know it's dirty in this pic, but it's the only one I have);
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

if u can get it up to ny me an dmy dad will do the body work and paint it
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bestlude
When i bought my camaro last october it came with airbrushed gills on it! it literally looks like a freakin catfish! Other than that the car is just beautiful, alot of people take it as a joke and alot of people on here laughed at it too but hey I dont care.. Im still driving it around. I havent had the money to get it repainted because i have spent all my money on maintenance stuff and things of that nature on my car. But once it gets painted Haters gona Hate LOL
I remember when you posted that up. I stared at it for 5 minutes before I could even laugh. Aside from that it was a gorgeous car, though.

But back on topic, if you like the car, keep it. Just save up and have it painted or go satin black. It's TOTALLY UP TO YOU (and your budget). GL with whatever you decide on.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85IROCZmaro
if u can get it up to ny me an dmy dad will do the body work and paint it
I'll see what I can do
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

keep it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the gills pic lol,that was funny,if the car is perfect everywhere else just keep it,do a bad *** paint job,what mods do you have done?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I just put a new dash pad in, new water pump, poly mm and trans mount, tranny cooler, stall, built 4l60, long tubes, ory, magnaflow race bullet, lid, lca's, phb, tune, drilled and slotted rotors, and other **** I can't remember...lol
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

yea i would def keep it and just paint it , when i bought my car the airbag had been deployed, so the dash was a little cracked and the airbag cover was not attached to the dash, and the rear bumper had spyder web cracks in it, but now( once i get my get mystupid door handle replaced and painted ) you couldnt even tell it was the same car i got SOOO much **** saying oh you shouldnt have got that car, its a POS, now it looks better then most of their cars just do what YOU think is right.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

paint it
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Keep it and paint it as if its solid and only needs minor stuff done its worth it
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Heck dude keep it, I was almost set and ready to completely overhaul my Camaro last year until I realized it had worse rust issues underneath than I thought and it was beyond reasonable repair.

Quick Reply: Keep it or sell?