Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"

So this is my first time painting a car and I just had a few questions before this project got underway. I put some picks up with what I started with with is a 1997 formula auto with cloth int. and some pics of where i am at now as a TA clone with leather int.

First off would it be easier for me to try and keep it red by painting the hood bumpers and hatch red, but will they match the other panels on the car? how difficult is it to blend the panels together. Or would it be easy to just paint the car satin black? I know painting the whole car would be more time and work but i would rather the car be black anyways. I dont mind taking things a part and sanding a lot not a problem.

What would be the correct way to sand the car down. Do I need to take it down to bare metal? start with 400 grit and work my way up to 1000 grit? Start with 400 then primer? or none of the above?

Any comments or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails 97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"-photo-1-.jpg   97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"-photo-1-.jpg2.jpg   97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"-photo-2-.jpg3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

If you are going to repaint, do it right the first time and do the whole car cause it'll never quite match up if you only do the bumpers and hatch. As for sanding, all you need is 320 grit unless you are doing body work too, then go down as bare as you can. after the 320, you can prime. I suggest blocking after that to minimize the wave effect that these cars have in the body panels. After it's blocked, one last quick layer of primer, then paint. There are a ton of rebuild threads on here, including one on my own car to look up if you are curious, or need a few pointers.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

from the pics it looks like you dont need to take it to bare metal,if the clear isnt peeling or dont need body work DA the thing with 600 and red scuff the whole thing,paper,plastic,seal n paint,first time painting practice on a old hood or some thig,when your ready maybe do the top surrfaces sepperate,then the sides(easier on you)since both are sold colars you can paint at differant times,you can even do a panal at a time if you wanted.tou can do the quarter panels with the jams so there's no tape lines in the jams.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. yeah i have been reading post as much as possible but most dont go into great detail just the product and a general idea of whats done!

Quick Reply: 97 Trans am repaint, first timer Questions "pics"