Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fixing dented front frame rails from jack stand damage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fixing dented front frame rails from jack stand damage.

From years or jacking, the front frame reails are dented in from sitting on jack stands. This is the usual area right behind the front tires that I see on most 4th gens.

I really want to pull these dents out and come up with a better way to prevent it in the future.

Any ideas on how to pull these big dented areas out of the front frame rails.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

weld something you can get a hold of onto the dents and use like a slide hammer action to get them out . .
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
weld something you can get a hold of onto the dents and use like a slide hammer action to get them out . .
That would work...except how thick it is there.

OP, I know what you mean. I bought my car from California and had it shipped here, and unfortunately, the jackass that put it on the trailer, used the standard metal hook in the slots on the underside, but they tightened them down so tight it tore the metal a little, and every time I'm under there, it bugs the living **** out of me.

Yours will be easier to fix though. You can simply use some filler, but your problem there would be jacking it back up in that spot, obviously. You could also use a torch and a little lead, but I'm not to sure how hard that would be underneath the car, and if you've never done anything like that, probably wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. Your only other real option I can think of is grind it down a little, cut a thin piece of sheetmetal (maybe 18g?) and tack it in all around, grind it smooth, etc. If done right, you would never be able to tell. But again, you wouldn't wanna jack it up there anymore. The best thing to do is fix it one the suggested ways, then get a different jack. Something like a aluminum low profile with a rubber pad. It won't damage it if your careful.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a slide hammer like mentioned above, and then get a set of frame rail connectors, I always jack my car up by the frame rail connectors, and then put the jackstands under the frame rail connectors also. I have the SLP Frame rail connectors so they are boxed and not tubular, id recommend the boxed since it has a nice flat service. It Works great!

Quick Reply: Fixing dented front frame rails from jack stand damage.