Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hood stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood stripes?

has anyone ever painted hood stripes on the side of their snorkles or whatever? I've got a blue ws6 and was thinking about doing this in silver/smoke grey/ etc any thoughts? I already did the CETA mod in my garage and it turned out pretty damn good if I must say so myself for a first timer and in the garage! haha just wondering how it would all look on the hood though and clearing it...or should I just have a body shop do it? what should it cost?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

IMO on a hood you should use a base/clear combo not a spray can unless your going for small stripes that are flat or a satin finish,but they will have a tape edge and you wont be able to buff near them and thell eventually fade.if you want to base/clear you will need to sand your hood down(the whole thing with 800 then use a grey scotch brite all over n on the edges,back tape n paper then tape off your stripes n paint,pull off tape on the stripes then clear.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Ok and when i clear it, there wont be a line of clear? Or will there be but itll buff out? Or is there where color sanding comes into play?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Launching!

U will usually spray 2-3 coats of clear. And will prob be able to feel line but with a buff it should help, Best thing is to block the lines with 800 and sand the rest of hood and re clear it, 2 coats should be fine.. It will hide lines perfectly and will have a great depth.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

You can usually buff out the line u feel in the clear,but don't use your fingers use a soft wet sanding block n take your time,like Hugger-96-lt1 said for more depth you can reclear it also makes it super slick but be careful if u do it's alot easier to run!

Quick Reply: hood stripes?