Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Slightly cracked bumper :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slightly cracked bumper :(

So this morning I had someone tap me in the rear going about ~10-15 mph. To describe the impact... I thought I had stalled the car so you can be assured it wasn't very hard at all. Unfortunately, it put some cracks (no broken pieces, no chunks taken out) just to the right where the license plate is mounted, about mid way between the tag and the exhaust. His license plate frame is what actually hit me. His insurance company (USAA) is taking care of everything and I've got an appointment to take it to a pretty reputable shop in my area to get an estimate. Anyways, what are the chances they are going to replace the entire piece? It didn't shift the rear bumper cover forward towards the rear quarters at all, but being that the piece is plastic would they even CONSIDER trying to repair the existing piece? I would rather them replace it to be honest. It's really not even that bad though, but I want it fixed and I want it fixed right. After all, it wasn't MY fault and I would like to be made "whole" again ie. my car look the exact same way it looked for the incident. If pics would help I can make that happen.

I guess I should start seriously considering the CETA mod...

Last edited by Adam2001WS6; 04-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

It won't get replaced,theyll fix it,easy fix should only b there 1-2days once u get it there
Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the "fix" for it?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

theyll probably sand the area down with 180 till the damage is gone and possably put some putty in it,then it will be primed and sanded,then painted.good body man will have it in primer in 30 min,after the primer dries it will be sanded n painted,BTW they should take the bumper off the car,at the shop i work at it would be a 2 day repair,1 for dissassembly,body work,next for paint n reassembly n clean up.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Thats notthing man, Tell the shop you want em to do the ceta mod, they shouldnt have a issue doing it. And no it wont get replaced.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

If it were my car, I would want a new bumper. If his insurance is paying for it why not ?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Insurance company will not pay for a new bumper with the small amount of damage,thinking like that(that u need a new bumper for something that minor)is why insurance rates climb every year,it's an easy fix they'll blend it within the bumper n shouldn't have any color issue,if you get a new bumper you have to paint it edge to edge n worry about color match,and unless u have an oem policy theyll try and put an aftermarket or remaned bumper
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When they sand it down, does that make the material thinner on that particular section? Would it be prone to bowing or more flexing because of it?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

U shouldn't have any problems with it flexing or bowing out of place,it'll be fine,this is a minor repair and will be fixed easy,I would do like jay7199 said n ask them to do the ceta mod if u like it
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Insurance company will not pay for a new bumper with the small amount of damage,thinking like that(that u need a new bumper for something that minor)is why insurance rates climb every year,it's an easy fix they'll blend it within the bumper n shouldn't have any color issue,if you get a new bumper you have to paint it edge to edge n worry about color match,and unless u have an oem policy theyll try and put an aftermarket or remaned bumper
FWIW, I put the putty they speak of in part of my fender. Guess what happend? Where it was filled in it cracked. Believe me i'm kicking myself for not buying a new fender after all the working painting my car...
Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do they even make the rear bumper cover NEW anymore?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

They will use filler made for the urethane bumper to fix the crack. But, like was mentioned earlier it might crack in the future. It should be fine as long as it does not flex, but you know how that goes.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dropped the car off this morning. They said it didn't crack through to the bumper, but that only the paint had cracked/spider webbing. They are removing the bumper cover from the car, sanding, priming, painting and clearing the entire piece. I opted out of the CETA mod (I can always have it done later), but I am having them put on the OEM carbon fiber WS6 decal that I have which, correct me if I'm wrong, but came on the CETA cars??
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up the car this evening... Looks BEAUTIFUL. No putty used at all, they just sanded the bumper down enough to remove the cracks in the clear coat and paint then wet sanded, primed, painted, cleared and polished. They also put on the black, carbon fiber looking WS6 badge to replace my OEM red one that's been cracked for ages and it looks awesome! While they had the paint all mixed up I also brought them the replacement driver's side mirror housing to replace my original one that I had cracked the middle, top of the housing clearing off snow about a year ago. Only cost me $71.00 for the same process that they did to the bumper, plus removal of the original mirror and installation of the newly painted one. So all in all... very good experience.

Quick Reply: Slightly cracked bumper :(