Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

For those with shaved rear CAMARO tail panels, questions in here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For those with shaved rear CAMARO tail panels, questions in here.

In the process of doing mine, got the letters and key hole filled with glass and most of the center section sanded down.

Now do you guys sand the whole panel down bare, also what step would I use for body filler so I wont see the letters and key hole when painted over?

If you have pics of the process post em up please.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my friend's panel I used a dremel to get the paint out of the letters and a DA to get all the paint away from where any filler was gonna go. Short hair fiberglass filler filled it in and got sanded down. A coat of lightweight filler went over the top of that and I block sanded that by hand to make sure everything was flat, smooth and matched the rest of the surface. I sanded the rest of the panel with 320 grit by hand to get out the factory orange peel. He wanted it black (from red) so I didn't primer the whole thing, just used primer sealer where the filler was. The primer will reveal any little pinholes you might have and I used spotting and glazing putty to cover a couple of those. That got soft-block sanded and another coat of primer sealer was applied. When dry I wet sanded the primer with 400 grit to get out any dust, debris or bugs since we did it all outside. After that it's apply color and clear coats. I wet sanded the clear and polished and buffed it out to a mirror-like shine!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swiat34
When I did my friend's panel I used a dremel to get the paint out of the letters and a DA to get all the paint away from where any filler was gonna go. Short hair fiberglass filler filled it in and got sanded down. A coat of lightweight filler went over the top of that and I block sanded that by hand to make sure everything was flat, smooth and matched the rest of the surface. I sanded the rest of the panel with 320 grit by hand to get out the factory orange peel. He wanted it black (from red) so I didn't primer the whole thing, just used primer sealer where the filler was. The primer will reveal any little pinholes you might have and I used spotting and glazing putty to cover a couple of those. That got soft-block sanded and another coat of primer sealer was applied. When dry I wet sanded the primer with 400 grit to get out any dust, debris or bugs since we did it all outside. After that it's apply color and clear coats. I wet sanded the clear and polished and buffed it out to a mirror-like shine!
Did you use a spray gun or rattle can it? Sounds like you used a spray gun. Since you sprayed it outside, was orange peel or anything else a problem? After you sprayed the color, then sanded (wet sand...what grit?), how did you prep for the clear? What polish did you use? I'm attempting to finish mine but not having alot of luck with the painting (red) and wet sanding. I only covered up the Camaro letters but left the keyhole. Been thinking about taking it to someone who can finish it but I sure hate to spend the money. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't get any debris in the color coat so I went straight to clear. If you do get debris, use 1000 grit wet over the entire panel, not just the spots. I used a spray gun for all but the primer. After the clear Id just got a couple LITTLE pieces of like fuzz that stuck on there. It had WAY less orange peel effect than factory but I wanted an impressive, mirror-like finish so I wet sanded with 1000 grit and went straight to 2000 so I wouldn't get over aggressive on myself and rub through. I spent a LOT of time with the 2000. I used a Meguires medium cut polish on a wool pad on my non-orbital polisher to get it looking like glossy paint. Then I used Meguires fine cut on a foam egg-crate pad to make it look like glass.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I didn't get any pics of the work but I'll post some finished pics when I get em on my laptop...and I get online on it (I'm on my iPhone now).
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

What you recommend to use for sanding? DA, palm or by hand?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the rear panel is such a small piece I would just hand sand it and block sand it.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Octavarium
Considering the rear panel is such a small piece I would just hand sand it and block sand it.
I hit it with the DA on a lower speed and knocked it out in about 3 mins. Gotta feather-edge the paint, then prime and satin black it again.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I hit it with the DA on a lower speed and knocked it out in about 3 mins. Gotta feather-edge the paint, then prime and satin black it again.
Yes. I used a firm foam block to hand sand it after the DA. Also use the same block for the wet sanding of the clear. Always use a block or your fingers can leave a ripple effect. The block I use I got at o'reilly for like 4 bucks. it's 1/4" thick, 6" long and 2 1/2" wide I think. Made by 3M.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool! Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

whytry, (a little off topic) the picture in your sig, is that a current picture of your car? If so, whats your ride height (ground to top of wheel arch) 'cause that looks damn good! Any trouble with bottoming out the front shocks, axle bumpstops, etc? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not the best pic but heres mine done, i did it with a rattle can
Attached Thumbnails For those with shaved rear CAMARO tail panels, questions in here.-downsize_2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whats a ford?
not the best pic but heres mine done, i did it with a rattle can
Looks good. I left the keyhole in mine. I'm attempting to paint mine to match the red color of my car.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Looks good. I left the keyhole in mine. I'm attempting to paint mine to match the red color of my car.
Booo. Go black!

Finished pic:
Attached Thumbnails For those with shaved rear CAMARO tail panels, questions in here.-z28-rear.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

You know what they say..."once you go black"... I've been going back and forth on paint color. I'd went over to the East Bay not long ago and saw three Camaros in the span of 4 miles and all three had black painted tail panels. I'm not so sure I want to go black right now.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's mine finished
Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Bump, so I painted it and I see the body filler through the paint just a bit like the outline of it.
What can I do to fix it?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Bump, so I painted it and I see the body filler through the paint just a bit like the outline of it.
What can I do to fix it?
You didn't use enough primer. Possibly the primer wasn't cured and wet sanded properly.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Swiat34
You didn't use enough primer. Possibly the primer wasn't cured and wet sanded properly.
Steps? Also any specific type of primer I should be using?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

After sanding the filler I applied a filler primer over the filler and went just over the edges. I wet sanded with 400 grit just to get it smooth, not trying to remove it. Then I covered that with primer sealer. I used a foam block and 800 grit wet to smooth it out and feather the edges. You shouldn't see any filler primer. If you go thru apply another coat of sealer primer and sand again. Then apply your color and clear coats.

Quick Reply: For those with shaved rear CAMARO tail panels, questions in here.