Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Bad water spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad water spots

So the other day a huge storm came over my work for about an hour then stopped, so i walked out to my car when i was done at work and it looked like my windows had some type of film all over them and i could see it on my hood and the top part of the car. so i tried to rub a spot off and it was somewhat greasy but slightly came off. I then washed the car with a sponge and after i dried it i could still see the spots on my windows and clear coat. Its not that noticeable on the clear but at an angle you can see it, it is noticeable more on my windows then the rest of the car. Also used a good glass cleaner and i still can see the spots and marks on my windows. Any idea of what this is? the florida weather and sun is brutal and i want to fix this asap. Ive searched and havent found much but maybe acid rain but in south florida there isn't any factories or anything. Anyone? i can try to take some photos to get an idea of what i mean if i can.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a victim of acid rain. Glass cooktop clean and 0000 steel wool will get em off the glass. Paint will likely need correction/polishing. You work at or near/east of a factory or industrail park? Smog from a place like that could mix with the water vapor in clouds and fall in rain...which is acid rain.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i work at a sports bar with no type of factory within 50+ miles. what type of correction do you mean? like use the cream colored meguiars bottles? ive been searching but just need the right one and can do it myself.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you need to clay bar it, then wax it and you should be fine
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 19xtreme99
Sounds like you need to clay bar it, then wax it and you should be fine
Yeah try the clay bar first. Bit if you still can see the spots you're gonna require a polish. Start with a swirl remover and work finer. Then seal and wax.

You don't have to be next door to industry to get acid rain, and it you got greasey residue after a rain that left water spots, that's almost surely what it is.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So clay then what? lol
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

use 3m ultra fine polish or swirl mark remover, if it all fails use viniger, i worked at ford body shop and used it once on a f150 that got damaged from sprinklers and was thick...
Old 05-21-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

would anyone recommend using the meg m105 or m205 for this? im still kinda lost on what steps i do to get rid of this and seal/wax the car. what steps products etc do you recommend, as i havent had time to try the vinegar thing yet.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

first step would be swirl mark remover, if that doesn't take it off try RUBBING COMPOUND, 2nd swirl mark remover and then ultra fine and u will wax it and make it look good

1st : rubbing compound if swirl mark remover fails.
2nd : swirl mark remover
3rd : ultra fine polish

if that fails
use
1st : vinegar
2nd : water it down dry it and swirl mark remover
3rd : ultra fine polish

lmk if anything works

Quick Reply: Bad water spots